is it true that if you are breastfeeding all of the sudden you can stop producing milk?

Asked by Milindus at 10:18 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For some yes, but alot think they have stopped produceing milk because they are no longer full or engourged, also the amount pumped out is not the same amount baby gets,...babys are better at getting the milk out than we are.

Answer by midnightmoma at 10:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• like all of a sudden dry up? no, you will start to notice less milk production but it wont just stop like that *snap* as long as you keep breatfeeding, every 2-3 hours, drink lots of water and eat food you should be fine, with my first daughter I did dry up after 6 months but I was also not eating for alot of diffrent reasons with my oldest daughter i breastfed for almost 2 years and with my son I'm planning on pumping until the doctors tell me to stop.

Answer by babyangelromero at 10:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• well i have a 21 months baby and he still breastfeeds which i'm trying so hard to make him stop and it really sucks cuz milk comes out like crazy maybe it dose but if the baby breastfeeds instead of you pumping it out it wont stop

• That's simply not possible. It IS however, possible to stop producing milk or to produce less based on many factors like medications or a drop in feedings or even an underlying health issue for mom. Your milk is supply and demand. Unless there is a health factor or something like that then it's not really possible for your milk to suddenly dry up.

• no

Answer by jus1jess at 11:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• No, your milk will not disappear suddenly with no reason or warning.

Answer by Krysta622 at 12:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Milk doesn't stop suddenly.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• nope its a myth that many moms repeat and because of lack of knowledge believe...

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2009