Do you think frivilous and unnecessary calls to child protection services would be reduced if the accused parent(s) were able to find out who filed the report?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:20 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Just for Fun

• MissHiCamps.. There would be more people to follow up on legitimate cases if CPS didn't have to sift through spiteful false accusations. It still needs to be anonymous though. Calling CPS for revenge is just facilitating kids to slip through the cracks.

Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 1:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yup unfortunatly a lot of the calls r made b/c someone is upset w/ someone. A lot of them r out of anger for the parent b/c of something unrelated to the child(ren), I have heard many stories of such things & had some friends who have had ppl do this to them. Its sad.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 10:23 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Yeah, but they do that for the protection of the child and the person who filed. They're just trying to follow procedures and there are bad people out there who mistreat their children.
    tcarter1981

Answer by tcarter1981 at 10:25 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I would think a lot less reports would be made if people were unable to call anonymously, and because of it, more abuse cases would go unreported. There would be those children who are abused but not protected because their crazy parents would retaliate against someone if they knew.

The system is flawed, but at the same time - changing how people report won't fix it.
    Ginger0104

Answer by Ginger0104 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• yes i think SOMEpeople are too quick calling cps
    Anonymous

• How many times have you heard that a person called cps on another person out of revenge or anger? It happens all the time. It's a waste of tax payer's money, as well as an unecessary intrusion on a family's life. Once you get cps called on you, it's hard to get those people OUT of your life, even if you're found innocent of any abuse/neglect charges.
    Anonymous

• Some people are too quick to call but I think less people would report a true abuse case if they couldn't do it anonymously. I mean I'm not going to report abuse of a kid if their parents are gang bangers. I have my own kid to take care of and I can't do that if I've been shot.

MoonLover06

Answer by MoonLover06 at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• why in the hell should someone have to give thier name for being concerned for a child?? Thats really the dumbest things ive heard. yea sometimes crazy ex's and family call but hey ify our odnt have nothing to hide then there shoudlnt be a problem.
    SxyPanamami83

Answer by SxyPanamami83 at 10:55 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• So SxyPanamami83...If your neighbor calls cps on you because they don't like you, you'd be cool with that? How about when they keep "following up" with your family for an undetermined amount of time? It's not always about "concern".
    Anonymous

• I think that we need to be more worried about how many kids die under the watchful eye of CPS than about false calls. Like SXYPanamami83 said, if you didnt do anything wrong, the case will be unfounded and closed. Yea it would piss me off if someone reported me beacuse they were mad but I don't abuse my kids so I would welcome CPS into my home. Too many kids get abused and not helped for me to care about false reports. And, no you shouldnt have to have your identity revealed because the kids who really are being abused obviously have a sicko abusing them and who knows what they are capable of. A lot of ppl wouldnt report if they knew their identity would revealed. Google Nixzmary Brown from Brooklyn and maybe you will change ur point of view, too
    MiSSHiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiSSHiSCAMP0S at 11:16 PM on Jun. 22, 2009