Postpartum depression?

Hello moms:)
I want to know if I'm the only one in this world afraid, can I say freaking terrified of dying. My baby is 3 months old now, and I can not enjoy all the time with her because I get all panic and start to cry. Is so bad I'm not sure if this feeling will go away one day or what but I feel I need help. I'm the only one. I cannot watch no body shooting in movies, or hear the "D" word, or stuff like that...I hate it...this feeling is the worst. I'm a religious and I sometimes ask God why people have to die, why? I don't want to say that I'm losing my faith but sometimes I feel like I already am. I know my mind is the one that controls everything and I have tried but sometimes I can't help it...can someone tell me what is the best thing to do to stop? I might need to socialize with people more often, I noticed I forget about this feelings when I go out (sometimes). Please help!

Salma25

Asked by Salma25 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Hello! I don't have any answers for you but I wanted you to know that I will keep you in my prayers tonight and ask God to keep His loving hand over you and yours.
    My cousins wife went through a very dark time after the birth of her second child and is just coming out of it. She is on meds to help with her postpartum depression.
    God is great, don't lose hope.
    I'm here if you just need to chat...
    Blessings,
    Marianne
    Marianne531

Answer by Marianne531 at 10:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Have you thought about seeing a therapist? I had PPD, and just having someone to talk to really helped.
    Anonymous

• Please go get help for yourself and your baby. I have major depression and PPD. I ended up in the hospital when my daughter was four months old because I was thinking about killing myself. I was *this* close from downing an entire bottle of Tylenol or slitting my wrists with my razor.

I spent a week there, and it turned my life around. I still have depression and PPD, but at least I can take care of my daughter without wanting to end it all. I think it's normal to fear death after your baby is born. It's scary to know that you won't be around forever and ever, it's a real reality check.

But please, like I said. If not for your sake, then for your baby's...go get help. Do it tomorrow if you have to. Arrange for someone to care for your baby and go to the ER. They can help you. I'm not a religious person, so I can't help you there. But you're not alone, I promise. There is help for you if you seek it out.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:42 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I think you should hold off on questioning your faith until AFTER you get help. Death is an inevitable part of life that we all will experience one day, regardless of the existence of God. You cannot avoid death by denying God's existance but you CAN avoid the obsessive fear of death by getting HELP. This is not something that you can do alone or over the internet. You need to go see your doctor or go to the hospital NOW.
    Anonymous

• Oh, and I'd like to add...I had a weird obsession with death while I was pregnant. I was like you, I couldn't stand to watch people dying in movies. I didn't like to ride by cemetaries. I can't tell you what brought my weird fear on. Nobody in my life had died recently. I had never feared death so much before. I was in the middle of a faith crisis at that point, I guess. I was on the verge of having my first child, and everything I knew was about to change. I was Christian up until last summer, then I reevaluated what I really believed and now I'm an agnostic atheist. I was just really scared and confused back then.

My daughter is six months old now though, and we're doing just peachy. I'm not saying giving up your faith is the path for you, buuuuut like I said in my other response, you're not a freak or anything. I went through the exact same thing, and it took me awhile, but I eventually rationalized my fears.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone this is normal and I can get help!Thanks a lot to all of you for taking ur time :)
    Salma25

Answer by Salma25 at 12:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh my gosh hun you sound exactly like me when my child turned 3 months old!!! I had severe post partum depression (along with thyroiditis). I have always had a phobia of dying but after having a child it was (I am not kidding) 100,000,000 times, do I say amplified thats the only word that sounds big enough. I felt that it was never going to go away and that something bad was going to happen. I even thought that the bad thing that was going to happen would be caused by me. I started seeing a therapist which made matters worse because she kept on making me talk about past issues that I wasn't ready to deal with alongside my new issues. They refused to give me meds because I was breasfeeding and I ended up in the hospital for 4 days. Cymbalta and Trazadone along with God saved my life!! Not saying that you need to be medicated but wow what a difference it made. I hope you find relief, pray and meditate as much as you can
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• know that everything is going to be ok even though you don't feel like it is. Please seek help I suggest a phsyciatrist rather than a phsycologist who can help you get the right medication. Good luck and it WILL all work out. I am 12 months postpartum and currently getting off my meds and I feel great. You can do it....I promise~*
    Fairy_Wings

Answer by Fairy_Wings at 12:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• keep your head up.it will get better.fresh air,even though it's hot out,will help you alot.get out of the house as much as possible.i had ppd for almost 2 yrs after my first child was born.then i had it after my 2nd.however,i didn't have any of this after my 3rd.i was ready to do anything after she popped out,but i didn't have any meds at all.i took motrin 800 27 hours later for pain.but that was it.i wander if the meds have anything to do w/ ppd?
    pummill79

Answer by pummill79 at 5:34 PM on Jun. 28, 2009

• wow, ive been there myself and can empathize with your situation...definitely go ask for help...dont wait until it is too late
    Lawrencelezmom

Answer by Lawrencelezmom at 9:31 PM on Jun. 28, 2009