Benadryl for babies?

I've had several Moms say that they take Benadryl when they travel "just in case" their child can't cope with being cooped up for hours on end. But the box says for "2 and over". Is a smaller dose safe for a 9 month old (22lbs)?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 10:27 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Travel

• When I had to fly with my children that young, I would wait until the last minute to nurse them, even if this meant delaying their usual feeding time. I'd nurse them, burp them and by the time I was sitting on the plane, they'd start falling asleep and pretty much slept through the whole flight (about 2-1/2 flight) nice and full. I wouldn't give the baby Benadryl if they were too young and didn't actually need it. I know it's hard traveling with a baby, but just ignore the other passengers if they seem disrupted about your crying baby. Just comfort your baby.
    Lifevenus

Answer by Lifevenus at 11:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• You need to talk to the doctor about that. I do not believe it is safe to give a baby that young benadryl. Talk with ped. first to make sure or if there is anything else you can do.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 10:29 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I wouldn't give it to a baby, but ask your doctor.
    goldenfox

Answer by goldenfox at 10:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I've heard whiskey on their gums helps with teething. I would never do it just like I would never give my child medicine other than to treat an ailment
    Anonymous

• I would not recommend it at all. You also need to keep in mind that Benadryl makes some small children hyper, which will not be helpful at all.
    It is impossible to explain here, but there is a spot behind babies' ears that you can rub to relieve the pain and pressure, especially during descent and landing; it alleviates the pressure and soothes the pain.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Absolutely not!

Tristana

Answer by Tristana at 8:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2009