Where do I start?

I love making things like memo tiles and little crafty decoration things. My mom and her friends always love to see what I have made and will ask me to make something for them. Lately a lot of people have been asking me as to why I don't make some stuff and sell it. I've tried Craigslist but that always ends with the person getting my address and then never showing up which had really made me question if my stuff is really that good. My question is, does anyone have any tips or ways that they have gotten their stuff out there and had some type of success with it? I've looked into craft fairs and the booth rental is a little steep for me right now, I'm hoping that once I get started I will have the extra money to rent a booth.

txmom1021

Asked by txmom1021 at 10:50 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Money & Work

• Can you take pics of your stuff so we can see it? Also, go into any card shop that carries memo pads, pens, cards and a few other little things that is a mom and pop and not a Hallmark store and see if they'd be interested in carrying a few items to see if they'd sell. You would have to give them a percentage and would have to negotiate that but this is how my sister got her cards in shops. Also mom and pop/local gift shops.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• maybe a website can get one for like 60$ a year.. that way its out there and when people ask u then their is a site u can sent them too and u can still post on craigslist, just post ur website and they can order from there
    miss_nevin

Answer by miss_nevin at 11:01 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You can set up a store on webs.com for free
    customcat2000

Answer by customcat2000 at 11:41 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Craigslist is really not the place for crafty items. You can try ebay and other web-based sales tools, but it seems to me that your creations will sell best to people who can touch them.
    I would start with art and craft fairs; holiday fairs, neighborhood festivals, farmers markets.

Word-of-mouth marketing is a very powerful tool. You should put together at least a one-page handbill or (even bettter) a small brochure with great photos of your work.

Small businesses may also be a great outlet for you; florists, gift shops, even a coffee shop that features works by local artisans.
    I would try the home-party (think Tupperware) route, too.
    Just be sure that you are aware of the sales tax laws and are prepared to collect and submit sales tax, have a local business license (if required), and are in compliance with other business regulations. The fines for not doing so will ruin you, and it is just the right thing to do.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Try http://www.etsy.com it's for homemade/crafty items.

bizlady

Answer by bizlady at 8:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Etsy is good, Heard of Bizymoms?

Get your Home Business started Today!

IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 8:37 AM on Jun. 23, 2009