My 6 year old starting making comments such as "I'll pee on you" and other inappropriate comments. I want to know what I do... He seems to think it's funny even when being disciplined about it. I feel at a lost because all that I've read about "dirty talk" refers to the parents and the way they talk! My husband and I do not use inappropriate language at all! What do I do?

Inappropriate comments
Not responding to discipline

OhioBuckeyeMom

Asked by OhioBuckeyeMom at 11:07 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• you are not punishing him hard enough if he is still laughing. spare the rod,spoil the child. as the Bible says, it really does work! use a belt folded in half do this b4 you lose your temper.
    Anonymous

• Is he trying to be funny or make you mad? I disagree with anon 11:20. Yes it is serious, no, you don't need to hurt him more.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 11:49 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• It depends--if he just thinks its funny but wouldn't actually do it, i'd try ignoring him first. -- If he actually does pee on someone, now thats when you really have a problem. -- I would just talk to him and ask him why does he say it, and explain that its one thing if he's saying ot a friend who thinks its equally funny, but entirely another to say it to Grandma. lol -- He needs to learn that some things aren't appropriate in certain situations. He's a boy, they have a wicked sense of humor; try not to stress over it too much.
    Lanasmom

Answer by Lanasmom at 10:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'm sure he is picking it up from school, My son is picking up some bad words as well. Just continue to reinforce that it's now allowed and continue to punish him for it. Teach him about being a leader versus a follower as well.
    NJMom2Tyler

Answer by NJMom2Tyler at 11:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My five year old has said that too, and he's NOT in school.
    Honestly, I just tell him, "That's gross. It's not funny," in a calm tone, and then ignore him. When he says something that's WORTH responding to, then I look at him and talk to him. Just let him know you don't find it funny, and ignore him when he says it.

Anonymous up there is insane, by the way. Don't you dare hit your child with a folded belt for being a typical boy.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 1:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Keeping in mind that my only child is only 22 months so I don't have experience here yet...

It sounds like he's saying it to get attention, especially since he's happy about being disciplined, The best way to discourage attention-getting behavior is to completely ignore it. Teach him it's not funny by not responding at all, he should get bored with it.
    And make sure you're rewarding his good behaviors with lots of attention.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:10 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Holy crap, anon, a belt folded in half? Isn't spanking supposed to be about getting a point across and scaring your child into respecting you, not inflicting as much pain as possible? Beating a child like that isn't the right answer for anything.
    jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 4:14 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree with RanaAurora up there. I'd say "That's not funny at all, dude," and ignore it beyond that. Make a big deal of it, and you'll just encourage him. :-)
    BigMommaJesca

Answer by BigMommaJesca at 4:24 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Spend some quality time with him doing something he loves. If he does it then, stop playing and walk away. Tell him that you don't want to play with him if he talks like that, and neither will anyone else.

Just a thought. That's what I would try.
    nobakecheezcake

Answer by nobakecheezcake at 4:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• What did anonymous say??? Don't ever hit your child! What is that person thinking???

I am also agreeing with RanaAurora, kids respond better when "taught" verbally. Otherwise they will learn not only to speak vulgar but be abusive themselves....
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 5:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009