What every happened to it's Just baby Fat? Kids and Weight

Today my almost 5 yr old daughter had a physical, she weighs 53.4 lbs and is 441/2 inches tall, according to the doctor and their graphs and charts she is obese, now I have seen obese children, and my daughter doesn't seem to be in that bracket. She is a solid, healty active little girl. So What ever happen to not making parents crazy, by suggested obesity when it's not, it's just baby fat that when she grows will change. Just like my oldest daughter who as a baby, was consider too heavy and now is right on target again based on graphs and charts and BMI.. Jeez when is enough, enough?

Dare2Bme71

Asked by Dare2Bme71 at 11:10 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Health

• hmmm. at 5 yrs old, and at the height and weight you described i would probably not consider that "obese". All the doctors and other professionals are just all worked up because of the pendemic of childhood obesity. dont let it get to you.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:21 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Considering the high percentage of obese children who are still obese teens and then grow up to become obese adults, doctors want to nip the problem in the bud before it gets out of hand.
    What happened with one of your children does not necessarily mean that the same will happen for this child.
    An obese child is an obese child - it's as simple as that - once a child is not a 'baby' then it can no longer be considered baby fat.
    Take a better look at her nutritional intake daily and her acitivity levels. She shouldn't be in front of a tv, computer, or gaming system for longer than 2 hours per day.
    If there are activities she likes to participate in then try getting her into them - dancing, karate, soccer, swimming, tennis, pretty much anything.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 11:22 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• Doctors know facts, you know your kid. Moms are right more often about thier own kids than doctors are. If you aren't worried, don't let a doctor tell you to be.
    3gifts.from.god

Answer by 3gifts.from.god at 11:30 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• As long as she isn't eating a bunch of junk food and is active I wouldn't worry about it. My dd was/is the same way. She's just built solid. She slims way down in the summer too. In the fall it's to rainy to go out and play every day and in the winter it's too cold. Like the pp said, you know your dd way better than your dr.
    sadira29

Answer by sadira29 at 1:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• omg they told me my daughter is over weight too shes 22 months and weights 37 pounds i dont know how tall she is but shes not short shes alomost as tall as a 3 year old...
    13liz13

Answer by 13liz13 at 3:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• As long as she is active, eats healthy (lots of fruits and vegetables, whole grains,legumes) and drinks lots of water, I wouldn't be concerned.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009