i started going to a new church, does anyone know anything about speeking in tongues?

i have never been to a church that does this and i am really confused? whats the rules to speeking in tongues?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:35 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know there are a lot of women on this website who don't believe in it. I grew up pentecostal, and a lot of people spoke in tongues around me. You have to be "touched" by the Holy Spirit or something of the sort. If I remember correctly, certain people are able to speak in tongues, and others are able to interpret it.

I say it's bullhockey, but who am I to judge?
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:37 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• This only happens under and unction of the Holy GHost. You can't do it on your own. You have to allow him to speak through you. This is a gift that only He can give. Read Acts Chapter 2
    ptomom678

Answer by ptomom678 at 11:38 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• You may want to find groups with pentecostal moms to get more explanation without satanic interference.
    ptomom678

• nobody told me it was comedy hour...
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 11:47 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• http://www.intouch.org/site/c.cnKBIPNuEoG/b.4945473/k.BE35/Home.htm
    Anonymous

• There are two "gifts of tongues." The first gift of tongues is to be able to learn other languages easily or speak in other REAL languages without studying them, in order to minister to other people in the language that they speak. The second gift of tongues is sometimes referred to as "God's language" (or something to that nature) where people babble uninteligibly and supposively, God is the only one who is able to understand what a person is saying.

I do not believe in the second form of tongues being valid or "from God" in present times. I think, when done in church, it violates the scriptural teachings of #1 not distracting others from their worship and #2 speaking in words that cannot be edifying because no one around you can understand them. Tongues, in it's current state, is very "show-offy" and reminds me of the jingling of bells and loud prayers from the street corners of the Pharasees that Jesus criticized.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• thank you for the website, Im looking through it right now. I dont really have anyone in my circle of friends or family to talk to about this, and i dont want to seem stupid at this new church.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• OP... Tongues is not the most important thing , I speak it but what is important in your relationship with Him and where He wants you to be church wise. In time Holy Spirit will come and indwell you when you are ready and you will not only recieve gift of tongues but others as well. Dont receive it because you have to, recieve it because you desire the gifts of the spirit and desire to honor Him. I was prayed for the filling but did not speak in tongues for about 4-6 months later. Thats my experience. Yours may be different so do not try to compare yours to someone elses. I encourage you to just work on your walk with Him and everything else will flow in His time. Relationship with HIM is #1 priority :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Anony 8:54 was that language and attitude neccessary? I hope you aren't a Christian, that would grieve me for sure.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The babble you hear them talking in from what I have read in the bible IS NOT OF GOD. The gift of tongues is being able to talk to someone who doesn't speak your language. So say you go to middle of nowhere Amazon forest and find a new tribe. Well duh you don't speak their language but you feel so strongly compelled to ahve gone here to this exact spot and preach the word of God. Well if God so desires he will bestow the gift of tongues. so tongues does not = unabledness to cotrol body and babble. It equals language able to be understood.
    rhanford

Answer by rhanford at 2:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2009