does anyone?

Does anyone here think it's too "extreme" to disinfect a small child's toys every six months or so in a bathtub with Lysol, or wipe them down with Lysol wipes to rid them of germs? The reason I am asking is I am aware that being too clean negatively impacts my child's auto-immune system due to lack of exposure to bacteria, thereby no resistance built up. My s/o is saying that it is extreme to disinfect the toys, even if it is only every six months, his point being there are more sick children then there was 10 years ago due to lack of exposure to germs.

I personally am all for a good disinfecting semi- annually..I see no harm in it.

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 11:46 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know if it would hurt them, but I don't do it.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I do it when I think about it or when the toys have been exposed to severe germs.
    annamcg18

Answer by annamcg18 at 11:48 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I see no harm either.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 11:59 PM on Jun. 22, 2009

• I don't disinfect, but I wipe down their toys with water every week to remove the dirt and grime from them. We have a dog, cat, and 2 rabbits and the dog and cat can go in and out as they please and bring in lots of dirt. We also live on a dirt road so there is just a lot of dust floating around our house.

Personally I don't think it's the disinfecting that is having the biggest negative impact, but rather the assault of the numerous vaccines so early and the huge amount of antibiotics we give our children that is causing the dramatic rise in sick kids. Our daycare uses Lysol every day to wipe the toys down at the end of the day.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I never use anything like Lysol (or bleach, etc) to clean my daughter's toys. When she was younger I would just wash them when they needed it in hot water with dish soap (Seventh Generation kind, not Dawn). Now I just use Apple Cider Vinegar to clean toys when I think they need cleaned.
    DreaKevAiyana

Answer by DreaKevAiyana at 10:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Our DD daycare disinfects the toys every week. Every six months is fine for home, I think. And trust me, there are ENOUGH germs in this world for them to build up immunity!
    theRonimal

Answer by theRonimal at 7:13 PM on Jun. 23, 2009