WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

I AM DUE IN AUGUST AND I AM TRYING TO FIGURE OUT A WORK SCHEDULE WHEN I GET BACK FROM MATERNITY LEAVE. I HAVE AN OPTION OF WORKING 6AM TO 6PM, NOON TO MIDNIGHT, OR 6PM TO 6AM. MY DH WORKS 7AM TO 4PM. WE DON'T HAVE ALOT OF FAMILY AROUND TO HELP AND CHILD CARE IS SO EXPENSIVE. I AM LEANING TOWARDS THE 6PM TO 6AM SHIFT BUT I DON'T WANT IT TO COME BETWEEN US......WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

TashaMarie349

Asked by TashaMarie349 at 11:54 PM on Jun. 22, 2009 in General Parenting

• wow that's a tough one. if you can't afford child care then 6pm-6am is your best bet as there will always be someone there with the baby. problem is you will be dead tired. between dealing with a new born and staying up ALL night at work. are there any state agencies that can help with child care costs? good luck and on a side note I'm due august 2 lol.
    chases_mommy

Answer by chases_mommy at 12:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would do the noon to midnight shift. That way you can still get some sleep, and it's not too much time in day care. I'm guessing working that many hours a day wouldn't be every day, either, so you may be able to work it out that it's only 4 hours or so at day care only a couple of days a week.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• you should talk to your SO about how you would handle each different shift......then pick the one that suits your needs. Maybe you can ask your boss if one shift doesnt wok out, can you switch to a different one. At least if they say yes, you have a bit of leniency if a shift doesnt work out the way you'd hoped.;
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Is it mandatory that you work? Can you work from home or part time? Have you carfully considered each expense you have (including grocery, utilities, clothing, cell phones, 2nd car, gas, etc.) to see where your finances actually are? I say this because you will never regret being there for all the firsts, all the love, and all the learning. It is too important to pass up. I wish you the best in your decision making process.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• how about part time? 12hrs- it's really a lot for a new mommy! we don't have any family around to help and i was sooo tired with my first child, i was sleeping every time my baby was asleep, with my second it's very different so you should consider that, and with a little baby you can catch some zzzz... but later with a toddler- not so much :(
    MashaCH

Answer by MashaCH at 3:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2009