Ice cold hands

Everytime I go to check up on my three week old daughter her hands are like ICE! I take her temp and it's steadily 97.9-98.4 and everything else on her is warm but her poor little hands are always so cold.. is this normal? Any ideas of how to keep her little hands warm? she is too little for the little outfits with the mits on them to stop them from scratching her face...Any idea or help would be wonderful..Also knowledge that this is normal (if it is) would be GREAT!

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 12:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If your not swaddling her you may try that
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It's normal and fine... and not a good indication of how warm she is. if her back is warn so is she.
    My son has always had ice cold hands and feet even still in the summer like ice cubes!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ok I was making sure.. I keep her swaddled up cause I keep my house at 72-75 degrees cause the summers here in Southeast Texas ARE BRUTAL! So during the day even with the air on 72 it feels like 80 degrees or better in my house. I just wasn't sure if she was ok since her hands are always like ice..
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 1:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It's normal... as long as her back/chest is warm its okay. The human body will generate most of its heat towards the main areas and arteries of the body (so the hands and feet will always be the coldest). It's completely natural and normal.
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• And their circulation is not yet that good
    mummylovebaby

Answer by mummylovebaby at 1:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2009