my son will be four next month.. I would just like to know if any other moms had helpful suggestions and tips on good ways to teach a four year old boy how to teach him his letters and to write them?

my son will be four next month... I would definitely like to teach him his alphabet and how to write his letters before he goes to kindergarden. Any suggestions? He does not seem that interested.

jsamaniego19

Asked by jsamaniego19 at 12:21 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Start with his name. That is the most important word he can learn right now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• leap frog has that little fridge alphabet gadget that says the letter and the sound when you put the letter into the slot. Also I used flash cards. He learned to write in preschool and I was amazed.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Make it fun.
    To start with, concentrate on just one letter a week - both upper and lowercase and the basic sound of that letter.
    Have contests to see who can spot the most of that letter at the store.
    Pause in a story and ask him how many of that letter he can spot on the page (you obviously looked ahead and saw at least one).
    Draw a hopscotch board with letters instead of numbers.
    Let him write that letter in a shallow pan of cornmeal, pudding, or with sidewalk chalk.
    Once he knows a few, draw them on the ground with chalk or with painters masking tape (if you are inside) and have races to see who can get to a letter you call out first.
    Try "The Letter Factory" by Leap Frog. It's great for teaching the letters and letter sounds.
    Switch any TV he watches to PBS shows like Word World and Super WHY. Nick and Disney don't really teach much. Movies teach even less.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh. and also, try to call the letters by their sound and not by their name. ...kids learn how to read and write faster if they learn the sounds first. the NAME of the letter really doesnt have much meaning at all.

And i've heard that letter sand play is ver effective.

And give him lots of opportunity on holding a pencil on his own.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• The LeapFrog Letter Factory DVD is a great way to teach kids not only the letter names, but their sounds also. My kids already knew all their letters, but needed help with the sounds, and they loved this DVD.

As far as writing their letters, when my son was 4 he taught himself how to write them using one of those Doodlepads. I bought a travel one, because we had a 19 hour car ride, and he started out by writing his name over and over. And since he already knew how to spell 3 letter words ( like cat and dog ) thanks to the LeapFrog DVD Word Factory, he branched out to writing other words.

My 3 year old doesn't write yet, but he does know all the letters and their sounds. I bought him a tracing book from walmart that is supposed to teach pre-writing skills, so we are working on that this summer. I don't think it's essential, because my older son never did anything like it, but it can't hurt any either.

Good Luck!
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 3:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009