Why Mormons & Jehovah's Witnesses are the only two denominations known to be a "cult"?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:25 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Great links Shaneagle. They are not the only cults of Christianity.

I must remind everyone that Christianity is a cult of Judaism. We came from the beliefs of the Jews, but we believe totally different things than Jews do. We believe that Jesus is the Messiah.

The reason why J.W's and Mormons are considered cults of Christianity is because they came from a basic Christian belief, but they believe totally different things than Christians. When you do some research you will learn that they have totally different beliefs about God, the Trinity, the deity of Christ, the afterlife, salvation, etc. The CORE beliefs are very different.

It doesn't mean they are freaks. It is just a classification. They have branched off from traditional Christianity, in the same sense that Christianity branched off from Judaism. That doesn't make me ignorant or rude, because it isn't used as an insult.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 1:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My FIL is an ex JW (born and raised) and he has told me before that it is a cult. I havnt really asked him much about it, because he gets pretty heated. He's a non-denomonational Christian now.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I dont know about mormons, but I'm a jw, i have no idea why they would consider us a cult. we go to sunday services like everyone else. we believe in Jesus' resurrection like everyone else. we love our families and try to follow the bible as best as we can. we try to stay clear of govt issues as best as we can and we pay our taxes. I know that some people hate when we come knocking on their doors, but we have to keep knocking because we were commanded to do so. we try not to knock on the same door twice if they dont want us to come back. but sometimes a different congregation comes w/o knowing that we were just there and people think that we're being pushy. We love God and we want to serve him. He blesses us in so many ways, that's the least that we can do for him, is to love him and spread his word to all of our brothers and sisters.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I HATE when they come knocking on my door. I feel like it's an invasion of privacy! I can't even relax in my own home without somebody knocking or ringing the door bell to preach about their way of believing. If I was interested in becoming a JW don't they think I would already be one? Or that God himself would somehow move me to the next JW church? I don't know if their a cult, but they are effin annoying and next time they come knocking on my door I'm going to spray their asses with a hose or something!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• JW's are not a cult. I'm a JW, we are not a cult. We love God and want to serve him. Thats not a bad thing. we try to follow Jesus's footsteps closely, he went door to door, so do we. we love our neighbors as we love ourselves, Jesus did the same. I love the congregation that I belong to. They dont judge me, they are always there to help if needed. I never felt that comfortable when I used to be catholic. i met alot of hypocrites in the catholic church. not that all catholics are, just the ones that i've met. they dont follow the bible the way they should which is another reason that I switched. we are not a cult.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Because (generally speaking) they're not well understood, as (generally speaking) Christians don't care to understand them, they only care that they are "different".
    willful ignorance, or limited, biased understanding that is seen through the prejudice eyes of preconceptions and bigotry....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 12:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Anon 12:38

we dont mean to be annoying, just doing our part. we truly do care about you. our goal is not to convert or annoy anyone, our goal is to spread Gods word. Jesus went door to door, that's why we do it.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 12:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• They aren't known to be a cult, they are mistakenly called a cult by uneducated people.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• http://www.carm.org/religious-movements/mormonism/comparison-between-christian-doctrine-and-mormon-doctrine

http://www.religionfacts.com/jehovahs_witnesses/comparison.htm

http://www.godandscience.org/cults/jwdiff.html
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 12:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• they are the ONLY two know as a cult? the ONLY TWO? really? the ONLY two??? hmmm didn't know there were ONLY TWO cults.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2009