Is it normal?

I have a 16 Month old son, Brian, and over the past week or so I have noticed that he is biting hum self. Not just little bites that I would expect but bites that are hard enough to leave marks on his skin. Sometimes the bites are so bad he makes him self cry. Is this normal like just a phase, or is it something I should really be concerned about? Also does any one have any tricks to make him stop doing it.

Thanks All,

Becca

Brians_Mommy08

Asked by Brians_Mommy08 at 12:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My DS did that for awhile. Maybe its somethign to do with teething, and its jsut a phase...a learning experience. He's discovering how his body works. I wouldnt worry!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 12:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my son did it too. not for very long, but I think they all do it at some point.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Hmm...that is a little unusual. Not enough to flip out about or anything...usually with any kind of unusual behaviors you would look at the rest of his development first. Does he have age appropriate speech/language? Is he appropriately interested/engaged with others? Is his behavior typical, does he toe-walk? point to objects? respond to his name? follow directions (to some degree)? If EVERYTHING else is typical, and his ONLY issue is occasional biting, it is no big deal. But if you see self-biting along with any other potential areas of delay, you should get an evaluation with a developmental pediatrician (regardless of what you ped tells you). Self- biting could be a sign of undiagnosed pain, autism, sensory integration disorder, on and on... But if this is his only 'quirk' it's not that worrisome and probably just a stage. Best of luck!!
    Norest4mommy

Answer by Norest4mommy at 12:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• my daughter did it a couple of times. I got scared also. She doesn't do it anymore. I didn't make a big deal about it around her. I think sometimes if us as parents make big deals about something it could cause it to become worse.
    Jessi896

Answer by Jessi896 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 24, 2009