Have you ever let your?

Have you ever let your child cry in his/her playpen or crib or wherever for a little while untill you are able to calm down.

Sometimes ds will cry and cry and I have no idea why I'll try everything food, diaper, hugs.. just carry him around and when nothing works i get so frustrated I need to back off for a little bit before I get TOO angry.. Is it as Horrbile as it sounds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• No. They tell you to do that. It is okay if you have to put your child in a "safe" place and walk away for ten minutes so you can calm down. Just make sure that you have done everything that you listed above and put them someplace that is safe.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 12:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• you are doing the right thing if you are backing away when frustraited. Your baby will be fine for a few minutes while you step out of the room to pull yourself together. It is better than the alternative!
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 12:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• nope that's what you are supposed to do when you get irritated with your baby
    OwensMama824

Answer by OwensMama824 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Completely normal to loose your sanity from that. You reacted perfectly to the situation. I use to take a few minutes to myself on the back porch, after I put my son in a safe place to play, to compose myself as well.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 12:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• not horrible at all. thats why they stress not shaking babies, b/c honestly i don't know anyone that hasn't wanted to at some point, but you have to put them down and walk away sometimes to get rid of that urge. its fine you aren't a bad mom, you're a better mom for doing it.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No, its perfectly fine to leave him for a FEW MINUTES, not like 30 minutes or anything, but take a few minutes to yourself to calm down. Make sure you put him in his crib where he is safe though.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I need a crib for the older two kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I do it when my DD has days like that, usually her teething days. I know she's uncomfortable/in pain, but when nothing i do helps, I have to step away for a few minutes to relax. I usually put her in her crib, playpen, or swing and sometimes bouncer depending on where im going to relax (i can see her in the living room throught the sliding glass door from the porhc). She'll still be crying when i come back, but at least im calm and thats what matters.

Dont worry momma. Your doing the right thing.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Parenting needs a little patience and energy. When a baby cries maybe he/she needs something or feels something. try to stroll walk around you yard. I know this might help for both of you.
    SavanaDevyn

Answer by SavanaDevyn at 7:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you are that frustrated with him then no that is NOT a bad thing. Better that you take a moment to calm down then to continue letting the frustration escalate and do something you will later regret like shake or hit the baby! As long as LO is in a safe place and isn't left for too long or too often then it is perfectly fine. If it happening more then once every couple days then you need to look at reducing your overall stress level in your entire life!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009