My 2 yr old suddenly won't nap or go to bed at his regular time

Each day he delays his nap and bedtime to the point that the last three nights it was 11 pm before he finally went down. Is this a passing phase and can I do anything about it?

changeisgreat

Asked by changeisgreat at 12:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• omg, I want to know too. My son has just started doing this like this past week. He doesn't delay it for more than an hour, but he used to go down so easy. Now he is fighting it with everything he has. He actually used to LIKE to go to sleep, the only kid I've ever seen to be excited about bed time...lol. he's 22 mos, btw.
    HisMommySince07

Answer by HisMommySince07 at 1:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My daughters were just awful at bedtime when they were really young. I came up with a sticker chart incentive. Each night they went to bed and stayed in their own room all night, they earned a sticker to put on their calendars...When they got so many stickers in a row, they got to pick out a prize from a prize box. (I started small...the first prize after 3 stickers...then gradually increased it until they didn't need the charts anymore). It worked fabulous for my girls.
    Good luck!
    Cantstandya

Answer by Cantstandya at 1:03 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• you could try knocking nap time out except for days that he really needs it, or wake him up from his nap earlier. if he delays the nap for too long, go for quiet time in his room instead b/c if he falls asleep later, he'll wake later and that turns around and makes him delay bedtime. or if normal nap time is at 2 put him down at 1, that way he can still delay but fall asleep around nap time. same for bed time, put him to be earlier and hope he falls asleep at his normal bed time. but my daughter stopped napping around 2 1/2 it affected her night time sleep too much. shes 3 1/2 now and some days if she wakes up really early, or if its been an extremely active day she'll take a nap
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my DS is 3 and is still doing it....he comes out after 5 mins..." Mommy i had a bad dream!" we keep trying to explaintaht you cant have a bad dream unless you are a asleep!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2009