Should I pump?

I have an almost 6 week old whom I breastfeed. However, I am wondering if I should pump one side because that nipple is cracked and has been for some time. I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to hate BFing because it hurts so bad (not during the entire feeding-just the initial part). I put lanolin on after every feeding, which seems to help a bit. But, should I pump until that nipple is healed or just suck it up? I'm pretty sure there is no infection because I don't have shooting pains, no fever, etc.

jkt747

Asked by jkt747 at 12:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've had the same problem with my 7 month old. I found my pump to be a little more gentle so I pump that side for a few minutes before I nurse on it.
    Daltonswife

Answer by Daltonswife at 1:18 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If your nipple is cracked you have a latching problem. Pumping isn't going to solve your latching problem and when you put the baby back to the breast not only will the latching problem still be there, but your milk supply will be greatly reduced in that breast. And yes, you can have a latch issue on only one side. Most women's nipples are not shaped exactly the same.

My best advice is to see a lactation consultant or a La Leche League Leader. NOT a hospital lactation consultant or a nurse! Unless that person is an IBCLC, in which case they're probably fine. Don't bother going to your doctor because doctors literally recieve an hour of training in human lactation in med school.

I'm so sorry you're having this pain. I can relate (8 1/2 months of painful nursing because of a poor latch), and I know how it feels to hate to nurse your child. If you need to talk I'm here :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 1:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Le Leche League! I had cracked nipples too-- I know your pain!!! Do you use the breast pads with Lanola on them too? I used those, and it gave me more of a relief. I also used a different cream and it worked wonders for me! Within about a day and a half of using it, it was better. I can't remember the name but I got it from Mother's. Are you engorged when you feed her? If so, I would pump to release that and then try having her latch on. Maybe it is because of the latching? Try a different position. If she is usually across your chest, say on the right breast, try holding her with your right arm with some pillows propped up on the right (foot ball hold- i think). I had to do that too, but that was because she favored one side more. Anyways, I wish you the best of luck! I hope you have a good pump too (that always helps!) I LOVE MEDELA! Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions! I'll try to find the jar
    tbear2008

Answer by tbear2008 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• After my little boy was born I had the same problem. One of my nipples was sore and cracked for the first two weeks of breastfeeding. Pumping saved my life and kept me from giving up breastfeeding. After a day or two it felt better and I began breastfeeding from that side again. I had a manual hand pump that worked wonderfully!
    Lindzh01

Answer by Lindzh01 at 8:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thanks for being so supportive. I was kinda scared that there'd be a mom to say some not so nice things to me. I know the crack is from a poor latch. I'll have to work on my technique with that side. I use the football hold with both sides because I had a C Section, so that's all I really know how to do. And, I haven't been able to find the nursing pads with the lanolin in them around here-I've looked. I pumped all day todayand already that nipple feels better. I'm gonna try and get him back on there as soon as I can. Thanks again!
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 12:56 AM on Jun. 24, 2009