Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need advise on a custody Isses

So my Dh and I got our court hearing papers in the mail today.. We are very happy to finally a Date for all this to get over with because we have not seen my SS all together in 7 months.. Well my SS's mom called us today asking if we can settle all the custody issues out of court and she wants us to go to a mediator because she is tired of hearing SS cry to her about how much he is missing us.. Plus she told us instead of waiting 2 more months we can get this issued done and over with in 1 week..We told her we have to get back to her.. I personally rather go throw the courts but Dh wants to do the mediator thing.. What do you ladies think will be the best option?? Please any advise will do..

Answer Question

Asked by LillysMama0308 at 1:22 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

Level 2 (4 Credits)
Answers (4)
  • Just remember you can incur more legal fees. You might go to mediation and not have anything solved, or agreed upon. Then you are having to pay your attorney the blank hours for the mediation and it might not even resolve the issues. In my opinion since this women has already withheld the child for seven months, it is unlikely that sitting around a table with attorneys is going to make her any more agreeable. I would skip the mediation and go to court.

    Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • If there is a way to do the mediation, but still keep th court date in case she doesnt comply with the is agreed upon in mediation, that would be ideal.

    Honestly, i'd say ask a lawyer.

    And even a court order can only do so much. I know. My step-dad hasnt seen his two daughters in 11 years.

    Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:45 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • Is she a reasonable person or is she trying to cause any problems? If both your husband and her are willing to be civilized and fair with each other then try mediation. What I don't understand is why is she not letting your SS see his father even if there isn't a custody agreement in place right now. If he is crying to see his father she should let him see his father. If for any reason you think that things can't be agreed upon in a civil manner stick with the court date.

    Answer by TeriMelisa at 10:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

  • When it comes to stuff like this, I say through the court is always the best policy. It is in stone and there is no doubt or screwing around.

    Answer by salexander at 11:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.