How do you explain to a 3 yr old what a dream is?

So my son keeps complaining he's having bad dream, when he's only been in bed 5 mins. He'll come out and say "Mommy I had 3 bad dreams" and Ill ask what theyre about. tonight it was lions, and airplanes lol! But we keep tryin to tell him you cant dream unless you are asleep, he just doesnt seem to get it. How do I explain what an actual dream is tho??

RhiannonHunt

Asked by RhiannonHunt at 1:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When I was little my mom told me that a dream is a movie you watch when you are sleeping. It kind of made sense to me...but dreams are hard to explain. Haha. Poor guy. Just tell him that they are just pretend and are not real and when he wakes up everything will be okay!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• oh i like the movie idea..thats great! Hes not scared when he comes out hes jsut using it as an excuse to stay up. I can tell when he really has one!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2009