Is it ok if my young daughter is thinking about girls in a way she should boys?

topmom_11

Asked by topmom_11 at 1:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• how old is she? I think a little more detail is needed. But, just off the top of my head, she might just be in a "noticing" mode. She notices pretty girls. I have no problem admitting a girl is Hott or pretty, but im not attractted to them. She might just be too young to figure that out yet. Either way, just be supportive.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 1:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would also be curious about her age.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 1:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• yea. how young is your young daughter?
    i got my first crush on a girl when i was 12. ...
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• not knowing how old your DD is would be hard to say. She may be what they call bi-curious(which is she isn't sure what sex she likes)  Its normal for some girls to just like girls like that.  If she does like girls don't freak, just be supportive of her desion, because its hard on a kid when their parent dissapproves of their choices on what sex(male/female) they want to be with.  I'm bi, and my mom doesn't know because she would disapprove big time.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:16 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would sit her down and talk to her about her feelings and try your best not to judge her for them. Perhaps she will be one of those who truly is just curious about a same-sex attraction. You never know until you talk to her and find out why she feels that way. Just take it one step at a time, Mama.
    Mina2904

Answer by Mina2904 at 2:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Do you mean she is stating how pretty a girl is instead of saying a boy is cute? If that is the case, she could just have low self-esteem and be comparing herself to other girls and trying to fit in. But if she is infatuated with girls and talking about the same one over and over and say doodling that persons name all over her notebook, then I would say she is definitely looking more into girls.

But you didn't say how old she is or what kind of behaviors she is displaying. As far as whether its okay or not, it depends on your families belief system. Talk to her about what is going on if she is older. If you are talking about a 4 yr old or something though, they don't really identify themselves as one or the other so much. They play with all kids and get 'crushes' that they want to play with all the time. At that age it has nothing to do with what gender the other kid is. Its all about having the same interests.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 2:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I wouldn't worry about it. My 5 year old says girls are pretty , but doesn't say much about boys because she still thinks boys are yucky. Although I think my DD may have a crush on a little boy but is embarrassed to say it. So your daughter may think boys are cute but just be embarrassed to say it. But you didn't say how young she is. But if it does turn out she likes girls, don't judge her or make her feel like something is wrong with her. I think that is the worst thing someone could do. It could just be normal curiosity though.
    TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 9:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would not worry if we think it is okay. If this is something she is experiencing, then you should let her know as much as you can about sex etc. You should also let her know that you love her no matter what.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009