Can't BF for 2-3 nights and no stored milk!

So on Saturday I'm seeing the oral surgeon to have my wisdom teeth pulled. For the record, I am all out of frozen breast milk. On Friday night, I am to take a valium, and then again in the afternoon. I breastfeed at night but since I will be taking Valium Friday night, I can't BF my 8 month old. She's never taken a bottle (trust me--- I've tried!) but she'll take milk from a sippy cup. Unfortunately though, I wasn't planning on having this appointment so soon and am unable to pump for 2 days worth. I don't know what to do, I have to have this done because my insurance runs out at the end of the month. Should I try formula? t I don't know if she will even take it! I heard Goat's Milk is okay for babies, is this possible?? Is there somehow I can turn into a pumping machine before Friday? Should I just feed her cereal when she wakes up in the middle of the night?

I feed her in the morning, and mid of night (2)

tbear2008

Asked by tbear2008 at 2:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would try to get her to take a bit of formula in the next few days. If she will take it then pump when she does. I had to go out of town when my middle child was seven months for a few days, bringing him was not an option. He would not take formula. I had to trick him, I added a small amount of sugar until he would take it. Then I cut the sugar out slowly, so he was just getting the formula. It is not ideal, but sometimes you have to do your best to get by.
    Nathskitten

Answer by Nathskitten at 2:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Don't take the valium. It is just a relaxer. You can relax otherways then using drugs. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled, I took it without knowing what it was and really did not like the effect it had at all. I felt very loopy and out of my mind. I absolutely would have been fine without it. This was prior to having kids.

I would also call your dentist and tell him that you only want meds that are compatible with breastfeeding. Get a list of what they usually use for the whole proceedure, and double check them yourself. You don't need the added stress of not being able to feed your baby on top of going through getting the teeth out. You should also contact the La Leche Legue in your area, or other breastfeeding expert.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i agree with the pp. ask for a medication that would be safe for bf. i have the same problem with my dd. i had a staph infection & the medicine they tried to give me wasn't safe, so they prescribed something else & i realized before popping the pill into my mouth that i was allergic to it (good thing i read the bottle first!). anyway, all my options were out & i ended up not taking any meds for my staph infection & waited for it to clear on it's own. anyway, usually they have safer alternatives for bf moms, but if not, you'll have to try extra hard on pushing the formula or feeding her extra solids in place of your milk. if you think you can tough it out w/o meds, go for it cuz it will be tough for your lo. but for now i'd try pumping as much as you possibly can so she won't have to go through that much & try to evenly space the feedings during the 2 days so she won't be cut off cold turkey. good luck.
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 2:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree with the previous PP. But if you want to take the valium you can always call your DDs dr and ask about the goats milk. But if you have to try formula, you might want to try introducing it a day or two before (maybe just once, not every time she feeds), that way it's not such a shock when she gets the formula for 2-3 days straight.

But you should ask the dentist for the list of meds, and then consult your peditrician about the formula/goats milk thing, and they might even be helpful with the meds list from the dentist.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It is better to ask La Leche Legue or an IBCLC rather then a pediatrition about advice on nursing and medication.
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• **sigh** I'm so tired of docs misinforming moms.

NOTHING you've written is a reason not to nurse. Valium is SAFE while nursing. Here's what the National Institutes of Health's Lact-Med database says: After a single dose of diazepam, as for sedation before a procedure, there is usually no need to wait to resume breastfeeding, although with a newborn or preterm infant, a cautious approach would be to wait a period of 6 to 8 hours before resuming nursing.

Everything given in dental work is SAFE while nursing. Go get your teeth taken care of and don't worry about any of this. You can nurse the instant you're with baby again.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Pain meds are usually more safe than antibiotics for nursing babies. I had to have 5 teeth pulled while pregnant and took vicodin. I am not a person that likes to take meds AT ALL, but I took probably two of them after the surgery and dealt with it after that. I am a real witch with doctors when they try to give me something that would interfere with nursing.

When my son was 2 weeks old, I got pneumonia and they told me I had to stop nursing and take a certain medicine. I told the doc no and she could give me something else and she actually tried to yell at me and say I should already have two weeks of milk stored up. I told her I am a sahm and don't store milk cause I am never away from my kids and I was not going to put up with her disrespecting my choice and she could just prescribe something safe for nursing. She finally did after some mouthing off, but I didn't back down! Do the same if you wanna nurse still.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 4:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Start pumping yesterday and get what you can in the freezer.

Ask for something else, but in my opinion it's stupid to risk taking ANY drug while breastfeeding.

Goat's milk is as okay for babies (by itself) just as much as milk from a cow. It doesn't have all the nutrients she would need either.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• here run the meds through lactmed its a website by the library of medicine that does testing on meds that pass in breastmilk..
    http://toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/sis/htmlgen?LACT
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 9:39 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Formula won't kill her! After I had my DD, my c-section go tinfected and I had to be hospitalized. I brought my DD with me b/c I refused to let her have formula. Well, fast forward 3 mos. and she is supplemented each day with 1 bottle of formula. It has done no harm. Getting her to take it was kind of a struggle, but when she realized I wasn't going to be around (I had to go back to work), she just dealt with it. Don't worry! It's only a couple of days, she will live. Some babies are only formula fed and they're fine (I was one of them!). You have enough to worry about, don't stress!
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009