Set times or no?

My husband and I are having a debate and maybe you guys can help us out.. When my 3 week old Gwen was in the hospital they had her on a set feeding times of 8,11,2,5 and so on for feeding times.. since I have brought her home I kept to that routine.. Sometimes at those times she isn't awake yet so I let her sleep but will get her up before the hr is up to feed her.. My husband says we should let her sleep and if she wakes up later feed her then.. That she will cry when she is hungry and ready to eat again. So, should I keep to my routine and keep getting her up on fixed times and feed her or let her sleep til she wakes up ready to eat? I just feel that if I wait til she is up and crying that she is REALLY REALLY hungry and is frantic and fussing while I am trying to make a bottle.. were as if I wake her up at set times I get more time without the angry fussiness..So, let her sleep til she wakes herself up or keep waking her up

Faeriebrat

Asked by Faeriebrat at 2:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• How old? Is Gwen a premie?
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Gwendolyn is 3 weeks as of last thursday.. She was born a month early..at 36 weeks.
    Faeriebrat

Answer by Faeriebrat at 2:31 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• First and foremost, congratulations! This is a toughie, because it could really go either way. Having a set schedule is nice, but as she gets a little older, she can go a little longer between feedings. And it is true that when she is hungry, she will definately wake up and let you know. IMO I would say do what you feel comfortable doing. If your are the one feeding her through the night, then stick to your schedule and gradually increase the amount of time in between feedings. If it is your partner, he might opt to wait it out. Either way, Gwen will be just fine. Maybe you are preventing some unneccessary stressed Gwen could encounter for the time being by being prepared, but realistically, the day is going to eventually come when she has to cry a bit before her food is ready, and everyone involved will surely survive to see another quite moment! Good Luck!
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You can always premake a couple bottles in advance. I never had my DD on a schedule. I'd always have at least 2 bottles made in advance and would let her sleep until she woke up hungry. It worked for me, because she kinda kept herself on one. Plus, that way it was easier for me to learn when she started wanting more milk and a longer span between bottles. We now have a schedule since she's 7 months, but it's flexible. I work with her, not make her work with me.

I dont see the harm either way. You could always see how a non-schedule day goes.
    MommyLee08

Answer by MommyLee08 at 2:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think it depends on the kinda of eater she is. My dd would fall asleep after five minutes of BF. I would have to undress her, put cold clothes on her feet, nothing worked. Because of this I made sure for the first six weeks to do two hour feedings. Considering that she was premature stick with the schedule. Babies wont always wake up when they want to eat, I know mine didn't. I would wake her and keep with the schedule at least for six weeks. Then you can deviate from it.
    2-1CavWife

Answer by 2-1CavWife at 2:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i would let her sleep..youre gonna get her used to a different schedule of, ohh as soon as mom wakes me up its time to eat. let her sleep..she needs it..i mean obviously if shes sleeping for hours and hours and hours, then get her up..but, its not gonna hurt to let her sleep. and yaa pre-make a couple bottles, i used to always have them in the fridge. and it only takes a couple minutes to warm them up..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:58 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Feed her when she is hungry, let her sleep when she is sleepy.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• In the beginning I kept a schedule, then I started letting her sleep longer stretches, if it went too long I would wake her up. But my DD is a long sleeper - she is 10 months and goes 12 hours at night. With your DD being a preemie I would check with the doc first and see what they say.
    Kiiimmm

Answer by Kiiimmm at 12:53 PM on Jun. 23, 2009