Anyone have some unique or less costly ideas for a wedding?

My fiance and I have been together for nearly 14 years. Between the two of us we have 3 teens and one 10 month old. We're 32, and finally feel like we might have the time and energy to have ourselves a wedding. The plan...a nice, but mostly casual backyard wedding at my parents house. Ceremony and reception. We're thinking of doing a ceremony that honors our children and unites them as well, and I've been looking into a butterfly release for the immediate family members during the ceremony. Because we have been together so long, no one really expected a wedding out of us, i dont think, but since we are doing it, I would like to have something that people will remember, in a good way, of course! If you have any ideas, and don't mind sharing them, I would love to hear them. And also any great money saving tips! Thank you in advance!

jdrae13

Asked by jdrae13 at 2:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Money saving tips.
    Have as much of your family help you as possible. If someone is good at baking cakes, ask them to bake one for you for a wedding gift. ect ect.
    You might consider a potluck wedding. Everyone brings a dish to share. (of course you get less gifts this way, but because you are already established i'm sure you dont need much anyways).

Also, i just went to a wedding a few months back. Everything they had was donated. The dresses, the tux, the music, the photography (hoefully you have a family member who cna help with that). and it was still very nice.

You might consider going to a second hand store for your wedding dress. some woman dont want to do that and i understand, but most woman only wear their dress once ...so.

fake flowers. my aunt made them look so good! hopefully someone can help with that as a wedding gift.
    congrats and good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I got married a year ago... found my wedding dress on craigslist.com it was never worn but I got it for $350 and it originally cost $1500, due to a canceled wedding.... also I made all of my flower decorations and such... bought it all at a craft store and made them... saved a TON of money doing that!!! I just made a ton of my stuff!!! I saw a really cool idea at a local store, since you are doing it in a backyard, if there are trees that dont have dead leaves on them, hang a vase with ribbon around it, with candles in them... its a little hard to describe, but you just get a vase with a lip on it... tie ribbon around it, and hang the ribbon in the tree... you can even use those fake candles in them... I wanted to do that at my wedding but there wasnt anywhere to hang them!!! Also.... buy drinks and food at a warehouse store like costco... where you can buy bulk... it helps a ton!!! Good luck!!! Let us know how it went!
    sxc_mom_of2

Answer by sxc_mom_of2 at 3:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I like the idea of candles in weddings. Something I think is pretty is candles lining the aisle. Get some glass vases from the dollar store, put water in them put a couple drops of blue food coloring in the water then put floating candles in them. My best friend got married last year and what she did for her bouquet was as she was walking down the aisle her family members handed her flowers and when she got to her husband he tied a ribbon around them. I made the boutoniers for my wedding, it is pretty easy.  If you are going to have bridesmaids you can do their flowers pretty easy too.  For the flowers if you want to use real flowers call and find a wholesale florist, soooo much cheaper than a florist shop. I got my wedding dress from a consignment shop for $300. Sorry I could go on and on, I want to be a wedding planner so I think about ideas for wedding all the time.

TeriMelisa

Answer by TeriMelisa at 8:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009