Would any of you ladies do this?

Found this under job listings in my local paper.
HELP! 500 Plasma donors needed now! New donors earn $80* this week! Must be 18 or older have valid ID along with proof of Social Security # and local residency. Walk-ins welcome. No appointment necessary. *$40 first donation $40 second donation

vgiron

Asked by vgiron at 4:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It could be legit. They DO pay you to donate plasma b/c the process to do so is more complicated and takes longer than a simple blood donation. As long as the place is legit, it is all safe and they will test it just as blood donations are tested. If the ad gives the name of the place, I'd try to look them up online. I very much doubt that it is a scam, but I can see why some people would think so. Plasma donation is really not that much different for you than blood donation, except that it takes longer. You can donate more often, I believe, than with blood, b/c it doesn't take as much out of you as blood donations do. If I recall correctly (sorry, forgot to mention that I am a trained phlebotomist, although I haven't worked as one in several yrs), the needle is slightly larger, but it doesn't really hurt anymore than any other needle.

Hope that helps you out a little.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sorry but no. I have needles and would not sell plasma for money, that just seems weird to me..
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• ***LMAO***
    I have needles should of said I HATE needles...still lmao!
    ronjwake

Answer by ronjwake at 4:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sounds too good to be true. I remember people were getting paid $7 per pint and druggies were going in 3 times a day and AIDS really went out of control. Now-a-days you do not get paid you donate out of the kindness of your heart and blood is tested before donating.
    Gigi1969

Answer by Gigi1969 at 5:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I know people that do it and its for real. They do pay you to donate. In these days, if you need the money for your family, you have to do whatever is necessary.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 5:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i agree with vintagewife but i would go in and if you dont feel comfortable, leave. Research plasma a little better and find out exactly what it is and how it works and the cosequences of having some taken out first though
    LiSsY0924

Answer by LiSsY0924 at 5:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I do this on a regular basis. I donate blood every 52 days and I donate plasma for cash every chance I get. I had 4 transfusions with the birth of my daughter so I understand how incredibly important these donations are. Being they pay you for plasma is just an added bonus. Your body doesnt suffer for it and its a simple process.
    vnrose

Answer by vnrose at 7:57 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• not for $80. maybe for $500 lol.
    spastic_poodle

Answer by spastic_poodle at 8:10 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• the first day you will be there for like 4 hours...i guess that averages to 10/hr but i just dont have the time. for those that need the money i think its great bc the world needs plasma donors so im all for it.
    MOM22QTS

Answer by MOM22QTS at 8:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We have a clinic in town that is safe and sanitary and they pay $50 for plasma. It is an easy way to earn money if you need it and it really saves lives. I've been told the lines to donate are quite long. So be prepared to wait.

My husband and I can't donate because we lived in Italy when madcow was going on, so we are on a list of people who could potentially be caring madcow.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:41 AM on Jun. 23, 2009