Please answer my question about my son.. Details below...

Ok, My son turned 2 Jan 20, 09... Over the past week he is starting to talk more and I am seeing improvement. I see other kids that are younger than him talking in full sentences and it worries me that he is behind. He wont use the potty no matter how much I try. He shows interest in it but I'll put him on the potty for LITERALLY an HOUR and then he'll get his diaper on and immediately go! He is DEF hyperactive and intentionally does bad things to make my fiance and I mad. I have ADHD and deal with it on no medicine and I think these are early symptoms of it but I don't know.
Don't say that he's 2 bc I hate hearing that b/c as his mother, I know he has some kind of mood disorder. As for the talking, IDK... Please gimme your feedback b/c Idk what to do. It's getting to the point where it's uncontrollable. I've tried every punishment and even started parenting classes. He's such a sweet boy and has a good heart but Idk what 2do

LiSsY0924

Asked by LiSsY0924 at 5:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son is kinda the same way. he's 15mths old, and trying really hard to talk, but not to much avail. but his motor skills are outstanding! his dr said that little boys usually get there motor skills first and little girls are more communication. So i shouldnt worry so much, that he will do it when its right for him... so all that being said have a chat with his dr. hugs

HelloKittyCrazy

Answer by HelloKittyCrazy at 6:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Lol! Do you know my son? He is 2 1/2 and jsut in the last two weeks has started talking - well things we can understand. He has babbled for forever! Every day his vocab is increasing and it is amazing. My first son didn't talk until 3! He also LOVES to sit on the potty and has been for about 3 months. BUT nothing has come out while on the potty! I am just going to keep putting him on. I have put him in underwear, but he doesn't care if he is wet. I assume he will catch on eventually! He is also SUPER active and always in trouble. I try to get him outside and running every day. I also try to give him something to do to help me. If he is 'helping' me as I work, he seems to get in a lot less trouble.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 6:56 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He may well have a mood disorder and I won't question that since there isn't enough info in your post to really tell and I am not a doc, but they usually do not get diagnosed this early. As for the speech thing all kids develop at their own pace and boys are typically slower then girls especially if they are not around too many older children. My son stayed at home with me or DH his whole life and was our first child. He was not often around other children and was very slow to develop his speech. My daughter on the other hand was talking in two word combos at age 14 months! If he is babbling and attempting to talk then he is doing fine. Make it a point to not talk for him. By that I mean if he wants something and it is a word you know he can say then make him ask for it. Also try some baby sign language. At this age it can help just as much as it does earlier. Good luck!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sounds like the potty situation has truned into a power stuggle. Give up and by that don't make an issue. He is ready physically but will only do it on his terms. Little ones can't control much so using the potty and eating are two of the few things that he can. When he does go, make a huge deal of it dance around lots of praise. He will do it agian and you repeat. Good luck
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 8:12 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• At the age of 2 he is expected to have about 50 words and use 2-3 word phrases. Not a sign of ADHD.

At the age of 2, he shouldn't be expected to sit on the potty for an hour! That is only going to make him despise the toilet and I recommend waiting until he's ready before pushing it. He knows about it, so go with his flow. Have you ever sat on a toilet for an hour? The lack of blood flow to the legs can be painful! Not a sigh of ADHD.

If you feel he has ADHD then you need to have him evaluated. At his age, they will not give a diagnosis unless it is extreme behavior and it is very difficult at that age to differentiate the difference between him being two and ADHD...to a certain extent. Him being hyper in and of itself is not ADHD. There is much more to it, and it has to be in all areas of his life, not just at home. THis is why it's rarely diagnosed before school.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He is an independent, high spirited kid. I have one too. He was not potty trained until he was 3.5. I thought I was not going to get it done before kindergarten and then one day he just did it. I always say-its his world and I am just along for the ride. He will probably always be a challenge so concentrate on the good things, which I am sure there are many. Oh, and yes, he is normal, just not text book! Good luck and most of all enjoy him!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• is he an only child? My son was a late talker.. (but now never stops), is VERY spirited . I can assure you that at 2.5 he doesn't do things on purpose to make you crazy! LOL. Read; Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's book "Raising your spirited child", that will give you many answers on his behavior. As far as the potty- give it a break. He'll go when he's ready. Anyway- my point of asking the question about being an only child- my daughter is talking in full sentences at 2, SO much earlier than her brother, but I think it's because she has him to look up to. My son didn't have any one. Does that make since?

TyandEmma

Answer by TyandEmma at 10:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It doesn't sound like you should be too concerned about the talking or potty training. My son is the same way, though he's not quite 2 yet. He babbles a lot but has no interest in forming the words correctly. It was strange to me because my older children were all talking clearly by this age. His pedi assures me he is fine, though. Boys don't usually potty train until around 3. Some are younger, but that's the average age, I think. None of mine showed any interest until after their second birthday and "got it" around their 3rd. I never pushed it on them, though. I introduced it and let them take it from there.
    The behavior problems are another story. I'd have him evaluated, but I think it might be young to diagnose ADHD. If you have it, you know the symptoms to look for and since you are not medicated, you can teach him some techniques. Even if it turns out he's not ADHD, the skills can only be beneficial!
    Good luck!!!!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 11:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Since you are convinced he has some sort of mood disorder, I don't know what to say. This all sounds normal to me.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ok to all of that....
    One, thank you so much for reassuring me that my son is normal.
    Two, you ladies convinced me that maybe he doesn't have something wrong with him. I don't know barely any moms and when the ones that I do know are telling me that there is something wrong with him, it makes me think that there is. His real dad had A LOT of mood issues and I just get scared.
    With other mothers saying that it's redicilous that my kid doesnt use the potty and he should have used it by two and blah blah blah that's what upset me on that part. and I didn't make sit on the toilet for an hour just to clear that up. He wanted to and he would get up, run down the hall and come back. He was excited b/c thats when I first got him his potty chair and it sang lol
    To answer the other mother. I have another son, but he's only 11 months. I totally get what you are saying about learning off the other, but in my case,
    LiSsY0924

Answer by LiSsY0924 at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009