Imaginary Friend

Okay so I know imaginary friends are common at 4 years old, but my DS seems to think his is a ghost! Every time something is wrong or a mess is made he says a ghost must have done it. I have no idea where he is getting this from since DH and I don't ever remember talking about ghosts to him and they don't watch much TV and what they do watch is Noggin or Baby Channel or movies we have on tape. Is this a bad thing that he has this obsession with ghosts? Should I be worried or is it just his way of having an imaginary friend?

aeneva

Asked by aeneva at 7:44 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I don't think it's harmful. Creative and imaginative is what I think. They do grow out of imaginary friends. My son (now 24) decided that his imaginary friend looked like Malibu Barbie (toy commercials) and her name was Betsy. LOL! He grew out of it and has done very well for himself so far. He is an awesome Marine that served his country and is also taking college courses right now.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Be happy that he has a great imagination. He is normal and sounds like a lot of fun too! I worried way too much with my first son. As long as he is not afraid of this friend, it sound just fine!
    teampalmer4

Answer by teampalmer4 at 9:05 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My daughter is 4 and she has had an imaginary friend for almost a year. Her "friend's" name is Little Monster. I couldn't for the longest time figure out where she got that from but then realized it was from a character on the Halloween edition of Dora which she watched on Noggin. I don't know why she chose this character. She does the same thing your son does. When something happens, like a mess, she blames it on Little Monster. I have recently started to discuss with her that Little Monster is fine to have around but that she needs to be honest and not lie about who is doing what. Its helped a little. I've talked to quite a few people about this and they say having an imaginary friend is normal and that she will grow out of it. She does have quite an imagination.
    Trinasmom

Answer by Trinasmom at 12:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• What kinds of things are the ghost doing and are these things you know the baby is doing or did you not see them done?
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ghost is probably a word he picked up somewhere in books or idle conversation he probably doesn't even think of a ghost in the same way you do it is just a name.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 2:59 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• OP here. I know it is things HE is doing as I see him do them or like last night I reminded him to clear his dinner plate (which I know he didn't do in the first place) and he said he did and I replied but it is on the table and he replied the ghost put it back there after he put it in the sink!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 3:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sounds pretty normal. My son has a good imagination to, especially when it comes to lies. I would be more concerned with the lies in general than the lie it's self.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009