What to buy for 80th bday?

My grandma is turning 80. She collects cobalt glass & bells (like the kind they ring in the movies to call a maid) but doesn't want any more. Any ideas other than flowers/vase or a nice picture frame?

RugersMommy06

Asked by RugersMommy06 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Holidays

• Well old people already have a ton of shit. If she's not diabetic, get her a nice box of chocolates(Mama always said life is like....*Shut up Forrest!)
    And a nice bottle of wine or brandy. Scratch that, a BIG bottle of wine or brandy!
    Starfire73

Answer by Starfire73 at 2:16 AM on Jun. 25, 2009

• My Nana just turned 86 & I made her a small 20 page scrapbook. I wrote a letter in the front & made it like the day in the life of my DD. I put in paintings & drawings that my DD had done & did a bunch of photos. One photo per page & wrote things like "I love to finger paint" & put a photo of my DD finger painting along w/ some cute stickers around the edges. She loves that thing & shows all her friends & can take it along w/ her when she goes somewhere. Just a thought.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I love the scrap book idea if you want something sentimental. You could also go to Shutterfly and do one of their picture books. I was selected as a cafemom influencer a while back and got a free photo book and they were super super nice. I would pay for one. BUT, if you aren't necessarily looking for something sentimental, I suggest all new kitchen towels, wash cloths, and bathroom towels. I don't know about her, but after so many years they wear out and she might not take the time to purchase herself new ones.

I hope you find something you are happy with.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:23 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• A photo album with lots of pics of your children. Gift cards to the grocery store, a bookstore or her favorite resturant. My grandma is 93 and it is so hard to get her gifts, that I usually end up with giftcards or something my son makes. It is really hard lately because she has Alzheimer's and doesn't remember very well.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:56 PM on Jun. 24, 2009

• I give her pictures of my son all the time (some framed, some not) I went in with my brothers for the gift so they wouldn't have been happy with a photo album anyway. I got her a new nightgown for summer and a necklace/earring set for church or other dressy events. She does have to watch her sugar and she's not a drinker as my late grandfather was an alcoholic, although he would have loved your gifts, Starfire73.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:46 AM on Jun. 25, 2009