Why the mother won't let me babysit her son?

My friend of two years has a child who has PDD or some form of Autism. She said that it was nice to hear my offer but that her son needed a person trained to do the job. I really would like to know what makes a "regular" person incapable of babysitting a child with Autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• He may have a condition where he can have seizures and other medical issues associated with his form of autism...if you don't know how to handle these things then you would not want to be the one who did not do something you should have in an emergency situation. Your friend was being kind and thinking of you!!!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Her child has special needs and with that comes a person who is trained to handle and teach children with special needs. Don't be offended, she wasn't being rude but only telling you the truth.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my bestfriends neighbor has a child like that and her parents have a women thats trained in that so she can handle all that is thrown at her, i wouldnt be insulted i would be thankful that you even offerd if it means that much to you sign up for classes but ask her first so u dont do it and she still says no thank you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Rebecca727 now that I hear about the seizures....I can understand. thank you. op
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I don't think it was anything personal. I think it was just that with conditions like that can come other conditions or even just behaviors that another child might not have, and she didn't want to put you in a position of trying to deal with those things. Sounds to me like she was trying to be nice, since I know some people who would accept the offer and then leave you to figure out how to care for the child.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 9:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009