Formula

I have always boiled the water I make formula with, and mix it while it is warm, but it that really necessary? We have a filter in our fridge, can't I just use the water from there to mix it? How long can formula keep if I make it with room-temperature water?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You should boil the water for the first 3 months even with a filter. :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• There is still microscopic bacteria that a filter cannot kill. You either need to buy sterile fluoride free nursery water (first 3 months) or boil it. I used to boil it and let it sit for a good while then pour it into an old nursery water jug or or pitcher so I always had some room temp water to make bottles with. Formula is only good for an hour at room temp and 2 hours at around 38 degrees (fridge cold) left out.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i always used bottled water
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I use Deer Park water (delivery kind) I never boil the water before use..I just premade the bottles with formula, and put them in the fridge. Then when hes ready to eat I put hot water in a cup, and stick the bottle in it And my son is 3 months.
    jessduncan77

Answer by jessduncan77 at 10:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Thanks for your help, my daughter is 5 months and breastfed, I just use formula sometimes to mix cereal and mashes.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have 5 children and I've never boiled water or purchased special water, EVER. You are fine to use your filtered water. And formula doesn't keep any longer or shorter based on what temperature your water is. Also, you absolutely will not harm your baby if you give them cold formula. Some babies won't take it just because they don't prefer it but there is nothing wrong with a cold drink for a baby.
    proud2Bmomma

Answer by proud2Bmomma at 1:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009