play pens yes/no?

so is it wrong to put my 6 month old in a play pen with toys while i clean and shes happy? or should i let her have more area to roam.. shes not crawling yet but scooting and rolling and dont want her to get hurt on anything. i also dont want to stunt her mobility either

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't think babies or toddlers need to be caged into a specific area.

At this point you should be thinking about properly baby-proofing your living areas so that it is safe for your baby to roam.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with playpens, as long as they are safe and clean. I never would have gotten anything done around the house without a playpen when my son was a baby. I would set him up with his favorite toys and he would be good for quite a while to play and hang out while I cleaned, did dishes, whatever...
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 9:23 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• to the first answer... a play pen is NOT a cage.. and my living room is 100% baby proofed but there is always that WHAT if and id rather be safe then sorry if i have to run downstairs for the laundry
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ok, well it seems you already made your mind up.
    I'm not entirely sure why you asked the question if you already felt like what you were doing was okay.
    ladysavage

Answer by ladysavage at 9:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No its not wrong! As long as shes not in there all day or anything! I put my girls in a playpen so I can do things where otherwise they would be unsupervised. While you should really never use practically anything with your child unsupervised, lol, I used to stick them in there so I could run in the basement and flip the laundry. It was better than them getting stuck under a table or us having no clean clothes! My girls get the entire first floor (sans kitchen of course) to roam around and spend hours crawling and exploring.

I see nothing wrong with it, but be prepared to have at least one mom say you are being lazy. Also, some moms will tell you put your baby in a sling and wear her while you do chores but my twins are heavy and would climb right out of it, I know this from experience at a grocery store.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• im not 100% sure but found your response not helpful just rude to assume its a cage.. a play pen is not a cage and i found that response highly childish and not helpful at all..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Anon :24 is not OP!
    Anonymous

• There is absolutely nothing wrong with you or anyone for that matter to put their baby in a playpen with toys for a bit so you may get some cleaning done or even run to the bathroom. GAH

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 9:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Nothing wrong w/ useing a play pen. I actually used to use a highchair while doing dishes when my DD was this year (just b/c I did not have hte room to set up a play pen in our kitchen then) gave her a bunch of toys & she was fine for however long. Do not feel bad about this as long as its only for a short while during the day to get something done then its fine.
    Mel30248

Answer by Mel30248 at 9:29 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Not at all! I put my 10-month-old son in his Pack N Play every night for a half hour. He absolutely LOVES it! He knows he can flip and flop around and not get hurt in there. He loves standing up and playing peek-a-boo with us! If he ever started crying I'd take him out, but he never does.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:30 AM on Jun. 23, 2009