I want to buy a bread maker

I saw a newer bread maker on Craigslist that has only been used once and I'd like to buy it since it's only $15. I've never owned a bread maker, so I am not sure how to use it. Can some one tell me their experience? Do I just use flour and a few ingredients and than bake it?

BillmanWife

Asked by BillmanWife at 9:32 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I buy premade bread mixes & yeast. Then, if I wanna add say, corn & pimentoes to a plain cornbread mix, I've made Mexican cornbread! Yum! Have fun & experiment!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 9:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I used one for about 3 years, then it stopped working so I got another, and it stopped working after a few times and I just gave up. I loved it while I had it, you just dump a few ingredients in and it does all of the mixing, rising, baking. And the bread as it comes out is soft in the center and crispy on the outside- heaven! I used whole wheat flour and sesame seeds, but there are many recipes, including just plain white flour. I don't have my recipes any longer, but you'll be able to find many online or in the instruction book if you get that. I'd say get the machine- it is fun, and the bread is so good.

Answer by Bmat at 9:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I have one collecting dust on top of my cupboards. I prefer to make my own bread and buns and my bun recipe is very easy. It was a novelty for a while, but my buns/breads are just better. But if you are busy you can set it to be ready for when you get home from work. I'm sure you can google bread machine recipes or try going to the manufacturers website to try and find the owners manual which usually has recipes in it.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I had a zojirushi bread machine that worked for a couple years before it quit, and I loved it! You can make anything in it from fruit breads to wheat breads, white breads, even dough for rolls and such. You should always layer the ingredients, wet first, then the flour, sugar, etc, and end with putting a little indent in the top of the dry ingredients to add the yeast so that the yeast does not touch the cold liquid ingredients as that will cause it not to rise well. That is if you have one that heats the ingredients for you instead of just going straight to mixing. here's a great site for recipes:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipes/Bread/Bread-Machine/Main.aspx

Have fun with your new bread machine, if you are like me you will be doing lots of experimenting lol!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Hey, Olga. I have never used one, but I think Kara has one she wants to sell.
    Jenny301

Answer by Jenny301 at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If it doesn't come with a manual I would get one online for the model you're buying (you can get it from whoever the manufacturer of the bread maker is). My bread machine came with recipes in the manual, you can also get tons of recipes online, not to mention buy premade bread machine mixes at the market. It couldn't be easier! For $15 go for it & enjoy!

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I want one and for $15 that's a great price.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 1:51 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I bought mine for $20 at a garage sale over 10 years ago and it's still working great. Since I have arthritis in my wrists I have trouble hand kneading dough so I let the bread machine do it for me, then I form the loaf and bake it in a regular loaf pan.

As for ingredients, you'll get best results with using bread flour, although I've found a great recipe that works with all purpose flour and my family's proclaimed it "perfect." (I'm willing to share, just message me.) Otherwise, you'll need water, oil, maybe dry milk powder, salt, sugar or honey, the flour and yeast. You can buy yeast in the 3 packs (very expensive) or you can buy it in a jar or in a 1 lb. bag like I do.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 3:12 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I used to have a bread machine but found that it is just as easy to make my own bread and I actually like 'mine' a little better. The biggest plus about at machine is you can set it go out and come home to fresh bread. You can also buy machine mixes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I want one too!!!
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 23, 2009