Does home made applesauce cause diarrhea?

I make my own baby food and I recently made some applesauce. Well, my husband fed them FOUR oz of it, when it was meant to be two meals and my kids have had explosive diarrhea for 2 days. Like when I say explosive, I mean I had to change crib sheets twice for each baby already and no diaper can hold the poo in. I've been putting PUL covers over their diapers too and its just leaking everywhere!!

YoungTwinMommy

Asked by YoungTwinMommy at 9:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• any applesauce can cause it
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I was jus gonna say.. applesauce and apple juice gives my son diarrhea. Not explosive though.
    amy31308

Answer by amy31308 at 9:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• well they only ate the applesauce once for breakfast and after the initial explosion of poo, i stopped feeding it to them and now they are still pooing like 15 time a day each and explosively ever since saturday!!
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you added sugar to it that might be the culprit.. otherwise applesauce is supposed to be a good binder.. or if you had cooked the peels with it, even if removed after, any pesticide might have remained. Other than that.. I don't know.. hope they feel better!
    Mommy2aQT

Answer by Mommy2aQT at 9:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I rarely put sugar in anything I make my kids unless its really sour. I didnt this time and the apples were organic and washed well even sprayed with FIT and rinsed again. It didnt sit out at all, I froze it immediately and left two portions in the fridge for the next 2 days. Its the only thing I can think of that could of made them sick. I was just wondering if anyone else had this experience. What can I feed them to help block them up? More cereal?
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• He was supposed to mix the sauce with oatmeal and it was to be breakfast for two days. Instead hubby fed them the entire thing of apples and no oatmeal.
    YoungTwinMommy

Answer by YoungTwinMommy at 9:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Gosh. I am sorry to hear this. No, homemade applesauce shouldn't cause this, although too much of anything might. If you added extra sugar, or artificial sweetener, this would increase the likelihood. If the apples were contaminated and didn't get cleaned off well-enough before cooking, or if the sauce sat out too long after cooking. Or perhaps the little ones have a virus or food problems from something else they both ate. I hope they feel much better soon.
    (I deleted this and am reposting- since I didn't know that apple juice or applesauce gives some children diarrhea.) It is probably the large amount that did it.

Answer by Bmat at 9:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Some people have an intolerance to apple juice and apple sauce. My niece will have explosive diarrhea when given too much applesauce or even juice at one time. She can only have 2 oz every few days, if that. Not sure about organic, but its definitely the apples themselves that are the culprit for her. Perhaps your LO is the same way? Try to feed her something that will help with the diarrhea (things with fiber) and keep her well hydrated. If she is still doing it in a day or two I would take her to a doctor bc there may be an underlying problem.
    Emuu

Answer by Emuu at 10:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Apple juice used to give my youngest diarrhea.  Apple sauce wasn't a problem, but there is a lot of natural sugar in apples, (and other fruits) and sugar pulls water into the bowels and makes them loose.  Reintroduce it later, more slowly, in smaller amounts.  It's probably just the CHANGE in diet that did it.

mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Too much of a good thing will do that, always! Apples tend to loosen your stool. Just don't feed quite so much..
    Nanna22

Answer by Nanna22 at 10:19 AM on Jun. 23, 2009