I need help getting my kids to bed earlier..an ideas? Every night it seems like our nighttime routine goes on forever and we have no quiet time to ourselves.

My 1 yr old daughter naps after lunch for 2 hrs. She goes down usually around 1-1:30pm. My 3 yr old son does not nap unless he is really wiped out. My DH works until 7pm, so i make dinner feed the kids, sometimes I try to eat and clean up before he gets home. Then he eats, I continue cleaning up, give the kids a bath.. I put my daughter to bed and he puts my son to bed. Lately they 're not going down until 9pm which is too late!! Any suggestions to help me get more organized bedtimes> They are waking up a little later than I'd like to--between 7:30 and 8:30 usually,,,Thanks for any suggestions/ideas!

2coolmama

Asked by 2coolmama at 9:19 PM on Jun. 21, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• If you can try to get them up and going in between waking from nap and dinner, try to run them like mad. Get them to the park and run with them. It doesn't take much when they are that small. Also try to start everything a little earlier. Since my kids were babies I had them on a constant schedule..even if I had to let them CIO I would stand firm. Now they know when I say bedtime there are NOOO exceptions! Best of luck to you. It will happen with some time. Stick with it..it will work and you and DH will have some much needed "alone time".
    Hugs!
    Shele
    SHELEBELLE

Answer by SHELEBELLE at 10:06 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• Try doing their baths before dinner. Then you can get them to bed then clean up.
    blue_eyedmomma3

Answer by blue_eyedmomma3 at 10:16 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• If you want them to go to bed earlier you're going to have to make EVERYTHING earlier... starting with lunch & naptime. Move everything back 15 minutes for about a week, so that they're going to bed around 8:45... then next week move it back 15 more minutes... and keep doing that until you get it to the time you want it. The reason you have to move everything is to keep the "routine" in place.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 11:56 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• set the clock and hour early and just start ealier
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 11:57 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I agree with crazysocks... start getting them up earlier... move their naptimes up... etc. My son was doing the same thing and while it's nice to have the quiet in the morning, I prefer it in the evening, so that's what I did. He's back to being in bed asleep by 8pm again (he's 21 months)... and he sleeps through the night until between 6 and 7 am.
    YourSecretPal

Answer by YourSecretPal at 2:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2008