how do you feel about pretzels as a snack?

my son loves pretzels. he especially loves the little sticks. i usually serve them with a spoonful of peanut butter or maybe a bit of cream cheese or even stuck into cheese cubes. my husband says i shouldnt buy pretzels for him cause of the salt. one he doesnt eat pretzels all day he has a morning snack of pretzels with some fruit (grapes and apple cubes etc) and then if we go anywhere i may sstick some in a baggie. I was just curious how you all felt about pretzels as a snack, btw i buy the low salt kind cause he doesnt like the feel of the salt grains on his toungue

elananme

Asked by elananme at 10:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• My son loves pretzels and I think they are a fantastic snack. They are cheap and delicious and you can serve them with just about anything and travel great.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I love them, they even have them that are low in salt but a little salt in your diet is a good thing. :) My kids like them too, I did not even think about the peanut butter thing. That is today's snack :)
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 10:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Kids should not be put on a low sodium diet unless your child is overweight. But they also should not eat lots of foods that are known to be high sodium foods such as hotdogs, lunch meats, boxed macaroni and cheese, fast foods, cottage cheese, canned soups, pretzels, potato chips, canned vegetables, pickles, beef jerky, etc. Too much sodium for a child can lead to high blood pressure as an adult, and sometimes weight problems as both child and adult. I think pretzels are a fine snack with peanut butter or fruit. I wouldn't give them along with cheese just because of the sodium in cheese. Here are 2 websites I refer to about sodium content in foods:

http://pediatrics.about.com/od/nutrition/a/0208_foods_salt.htm

http://oto2.wustl.edu/men/sodium.htm
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:01 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• April-we dont eat boxed mac and cheese (i make mine from scratch and i dont use salt) we dont eat potato chips canned veggies (not often anyway) beef jerky. I dont use a lot of salt in anything i cook and my son only like the low salt pretzels cause the salt grains on regular pretzels bother him hes all about texture and the rough texture of teh sat bothers him. and im sorry i think the benefits of cheese out weight the probable harm due to salt. thanks for the info but it really wasnt what i was looking for. i dont ned info on sodium i wanted an opinion on pretzels not salt. thanks
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• my concern is not the salt, but the white flour. buy whole grain pretzels, and serve with hummus and carrots

Answer by rkoloms at 11:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think pretzels make a great snack. Plus my kids love them:)
    ksmootchies

Answer by ksmootchies at 12:42 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Pretzels are fine. You can buy low sodium or no salt anyway. I like them dipped in mustard!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:49 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• They are very healthy. My kids eat chip and cookies. So your's eating a little salt isnt going to hurt. If your man wigs out to much, you can buy salt free ones.
    forevermom75

Answer by forevermom75 at 5:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Pretzles are a very healthy snack. There is such a small amount of salt on the pretzels that it isn't that bad and most of the salt is on the bottom of the back. You can get low salt or no salt pretzles too.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009