What do you think of this method of "sleep training"?

# When she gets sleepy, put her in her bed.
# Position yourself so that you can gently pat her and make sure she remains lying down by gently applying pressure on her body if needed.
# When she begins to cry, don't pick her up -- this will be extremely hard to do, but if you pick her up, she will learn to cry next time until you do again!
# Continue to pat her, sing to her, tell her you love her --whatever it takes --even though she is crying. You will not be abandoning her, only teaching her to let go and fall asleep.
# Ideally, you and her mother can do this together for mutual support.
# When one of you can't take it anymore, that one should leave the room for a while.
# Keep singing, patting, and comforting her until she falls asleep.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• That is what I would have liked to do with my son, unfortunately I worked nights and my mom was the one who did the bedtime routine and she would hold him for hours until he was sound asleep and then lay him down. When I got married the first few nights were awful because he wouldn't go to sleep on his own.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 10:13 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Works great for even older babies
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:15 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I dont know. It kinda sounds cruel to me to apply pressure to keep my child laying down, but if it will get my 8 month old to fall asleep on her own, its worth a try.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes that works for us on our 3.5 mos. old. She falls right back to sleep if we just pat her for a minute. She doesn't even need it that long anymore. But, if she's hungry nothing will work, she will not be calmed down like that.
    danielp

Answer by danielp at 1:18 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I think it is horrible! If you can't take it anymore leave the room for a while?? So what if the baby can't take it anymore can he/she leave the room for a while too??

I always nursed and rocked my dd to sleep up until she was 12 month old, she is now 24 month old and has no problems to go to sleep on her own!
    Anonymous

• i think it sounds great, it is not cruel to teach your children how to put themselves to sleep. as long as you make sure they have been feed and changed before you start, there is nothing wrong with them other than they want to be held.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Jun. 24, 2009