A Question for the Anti-Birth Control People...

If there is a 'mother' who has had nine or ten children taken away by CPS, do you think that birth control is still a bad thing? Do you think that she should just allow God to keep blessing her with babies or do you think that the pill might be a better option? Please do not answer with 'sex is best saved for marriage' because even Sarah Palin is now aware that isn't always the case. Let's think about reality and know that sex outside of marriage does happen and that people conceive babies out of wedlock. If you have a repeat offender mother, is birth control still against God?

fabulosa

Asked by fabulosa at 10:24 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Wow great question. Correct me if I'm wrong - but you can't force people to use birth control - unfortunately. As long as there are other "options" out there people are going to do what comes naturally. My question is this really a question regarding birth control v. god or birth control v. free will. Great question - really interested in reading the responses.
    Blaxkat

Answer by Blaxkat at 10:36 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Perhaps they think chastity belts should be worn until marrige. Cage that coochie up until you say I do.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:38 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Well the idea is basically that two wrongs don't make a right. Just because someone wants to have sex irresponsibly doesn't make birth control right. Just like because someone is drunk and needs to get home to their kids doesn't make it right to drive home drunk.
    eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:42 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I really shouldn't answer because I am in favor of birth control. But before the anti -birth control ppl arrive with their opinions, I just wanted to point out that even if you use birth control you can become pregnant. God is bigger than birth control. If God wants you pregnant, you will get pregnant. Okay, convince me otherwise...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• erin you haven't convinced me that birth control is wrong in the first place. Nor have you addressed the situation with CPS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• God is bigger than birth control. If God wants you pregnant, you will get pregnant. Okay, convince me otherwise...

Of course you're right. If God wants someone to get pregnant they'll get pregnant.  But the idea is that we should be trying to do God's will, not telling God he has to force us to do it.  This argument for birth control is like if I said it's OK to shoot someone because if God really wanted that person to live he would stop the bullet from killing them.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Anonymous - erin you haven't convinced me that birth control is wrong in the first place.

The question wasn't about trying to convince someone that birth control is wrong in the first place.

Nor have you addressed the situation with CPS.

Well the last I checked CPS isn't God.  If a person is acting irresponsibly then CPS should step in.  From God's point of view it would be better for the mother actually acted responsibly.  The fact that she chooses not to do so doesn't make birth control OK in God's eyes.  So I addressed the question.

eringobrough

Answer by eringobrough at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

I so had to LOL at this response! Reminds me of a comedy routine I saw once....."I must release the latch that frees the snatch....." whilst he was trying to undo the chastity belt. I believe it was a Mel Brooks......
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• erin: your responses have a lot of 'what if' and 'if things were perfect' and 'god thinks this or that'. i have to disagree with your whole line of reasoning. a: things aren't perfect. as long as these situations keep happening, where large numbers of children are made and then abused or neglected, then we have to find some way to stop it. birth control is the least violent option. are you a foster parent? would you be willing to take 13 or 14 extra children into your home? if not, then you are being a hypocrite and have no right to make any statement at all. and b: how does anyone know what God is thinking or what God knows or believes? and don't quote the bible because God didn't write it; king james did.
    fabulosa

Answer by fabulosa at 11:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Would you like me to make the arguement for you? God said go forth and multiple. If that is your sole basis for why birth control is wrong. Then it is also wrong for priest to never marry. and yet the Bible also says that if you had a wife when you first believed in Christ you are to keep your wife, but if you didn't you are never to marry. Thus the Quakers. And yet in another place it says that if you have a wife you are to live as if you don't. and yet in another place it says to keep yea not from your husband except at times of deep prayer coming back together again later. Thee are only a couple of time when the Bible mentions a man spilling his seed. one of which is when Tamar is given to her brother-on-law for the express purpose of concieveing in her late husbands name and he "pulls out" and cheats her of the chance to have children which she clearly wants.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009