Religious Humanism. Do you agree with what they stand for?

Religious Humanism teaches us that it is immoral to wait for God to act for us. We must act to stop the wars and the crimes and the brutality of this and future ages. We have powers of a remarkable kind. We have a high degree of freedom in choosing what we will do. Humanism tells us that whatever our philosophy of the universe may be, ultimately the responsibility for the kind of world in which we live rests with us.

To learn more go here:

http://www.humanistsofutah.org/1996/artapril96.htm

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 10:26 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Well any religion teaches that to be honest with you. Even the Cliche "wait on the Lord" for Christianity does not mean that you sit around and do nothing and wait for him to fix everything. I believe common sense and the cognitive power to solve problems (as well as Christ's charges to us to be ACTIVE in our kindness, generosity and charity towards others). I don't think people should sit around and "wait on God" when most likely, God's already provided you with the tools you need (hands, feel, a brain, common sense, reason) which IS his way of getting things done.

The actual fundamental of Spiritual Humanism is a religion based on Human Reason and is a "worship" (more or less) of the human individual. The principles, however, are not that far off from other religions. We can all find common sense and morality free of religion. There is truth in just about every belief out there :-)
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 11:00 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• As someone who studies Humanistic Buddhism, I tend to agree :-)
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I do agree with that. People have choices. I understand that a lot of people think it is "God's will" or however they phrase it for their particular religion, but I feel that yes, there is a higher power and yes, that higher power has the power to start or stop things as he/she/it sees fit, but that people have to make choices and try to make things better instead of putting everything on that higher power, both good and bad.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 10:43 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes I do. I think it's a very smart way to go. But then again, I identify highly with Secular Humanism :)
    krisr169

Answer by krisr169 at 10:48 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• There are MANY kinds of Humanism and I think it's cool that there is branch for those who don't believe and those who do. The basic 'humanism' part, I think is common sense that all people no matter what faith have in common. It's simply treating others with respect and helping human kind to the best of their ability. It's caring about others...
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I personally don't like humanistic beliefs.

However, I agree that God has given us the responsibility to help other people. James 4:17 says, "Remember, it is sin to know what you ought to do and then not do it."

I especially think that God expects Americans to be a huge role in world relief efforts, I think that is why He made us as a country wealthy. We have the opportunity to make a huge difference, unfortunately most people think that God has blessed them so they can spend too much money on name brand purses and shoes, or spoiling ourselves.

I am not saying that it is necessarily a sin to be rich, but if you are greedy with your gifts it leads to sin and missed opportunities to be used by God.
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:02 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• NovemberLove: We can all find common sense and morality free of religion. There is truth in just about every belief out there :-)

Excellent observation!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:07 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I agree.
    i am Christian and the bible says we are to be stewards of the Earth. Meaning take care of it or live on it trashed.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 23, 2009