I feel sooooo guilty and horrible. My dog had puppies and I had no idea she was pregnant. anway she started delivering and the first one I had to help get out

and then she had the second one and the third one wasnt responsive and she was licking it and so on and it wasnt moving. so I went and got it out of the sac it was quick when I got it out and then gave it back to her and the puppy still wasnt responding and then I started rubbing the pups chest trying to wake it and it still wouldnt wake move. and then my husband tried too. I really believe that the puppy was born dead. because after a while it started to get cold. has this happened to anyone. I know its a dog but I feel soooo horrible. I feel like maybe it was alive but unless I am brainless alive animals dont get cold.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• It isn't that rare for a puppy to be born dead. My mom has been breeding dogs for years, and it does happen espesially when a dog is having her 1st litter. If they have a hard time delivering a pup and it spends too much time in the birth canal then the pup can die. Don't feel guilty about the little pup that didn't make it, there may have been nothing you could have done for it anyway. Congrats on the pups that did make it, and good luck with them, I hope they all grow up to be happy/healthy puppies!

Anonymous

• Oh wow, I don't know how you could not know your dog was preggo but that must have been a shocker. LOL I have had 1 dog have puppies and i had to help with one pup but it was live and did fine. I would have felt bad anyway if one had been born dead or died during the process. I think thats normal for anyone who cares about animals. You did all you could.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:47 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Don't feel so bad. It's nature & it happens all the time. Hopefully her other two puppies are fine. There is always a runt in the group. One of the pups always gets less nutrients. Sometimes they are born small & don't grow as big as the others, but sometimes that can be still born. This is probably what happened. Just let it go, & go get your dog fixed. Is your dog full bread? Do you have a clue as to what breed/s the pups are?
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I know how you feel. My dad use to be a breeder and that would happen every now and then. I always felt bad. Don't worry though it happens sometimes.
    Juggalette0327

Answer by Juggalette0327 at 11:50 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Did you clear out the puppies mouth with a suction? Did you keep it warm directly after birth? Did you have the mother rip the umbilical cord or did you cut it yourself? Did you immediately have it latch on to the mothers nipple? If you did take every precaution, then the puppy was just a stillborn and it does happen, but it is rare. You should really think about spaying. Sometimes it is hard to tell, especially in long haired breeds or if your dog was overweight. the problem is that there are way too many dogs in shelters and unless you are breeding for the sake of "bettering the breed"(which I still dont agree with) you are contributing to the millions of deaths taking place every year. Good luck and I hope you find good, responsible homes for the new guys.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009