Do you close the lid?

When you flush the toilet, that is.

MythicMMM

Asked by MythicMMM at 10:51 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It's not so much that my cats drink out of it as it is I have FOUR that know how to flush the damn thing. It's tempting enough with it closed. Open, it's way to much fun to be able to watch the water swirl down and come back. So, definitely closed.
    roachiesmom

Answer by roachiesmom at 1:43 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yep, cuz if they're left open, cats will drink out of them...
    7257PamLaFs

Answer by 7257PamLaFs at 10:52 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• yes, i close it before I flush because I read somewhere tiny particles of toilet water can fly up to 20 feet from the toilet. That means it would be all over my toothbrush and that's gross! My guess is the 20 feet is more for the high powered flushers like in public bathrooms, but I'd rather be safe than have my toothbrush have toilet water on it!
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• LOL @ 7257PamLaFs -- im imagining someone walking into a bathroom w/ cats in the toilet "Um can you get your cat so i can pee?" lol ... sorry ...

but yes i do ... not sure why ... daughter doesnt even crawl yet , no pets , ... hmmm ... its a habit , because when i lived at my dads house the medicine cabinet was on the wall kinda above the toilet , so i had to shut it and stand on it to get meds or a q-tip lol -- or to even look out the window! and i was 15 than! Lol im 22 now and STILL the same height! *sigh*
    tha-hawt-mommie

Answer by tha-hawt-mommie at 10:55 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes. It's one of my pet peeves but my husband and kids never do and it grosses me out (that's if they flush at all because none of them do most of the time).

I do it because of the chance of stuff falling in the open toilet. I was cutting my son's hair a few months ago and he was in the shower when my 3yo demanded to come in and use the toilet. I was cleaning up the clippers and stuff and she's piddling around trying to get her potty seat on the toilet when I bumped into something on the sink which sent the scissors soaring and right into the toilet. I had to reach my hand in to get them. Ewww. Luckily no one had used it yet but, still, gross. Oh and then there's all the germs that go flying when you flush with an open seat. Bleck.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• yes, i close it before I flush because I read somewhere tiny particles of toilet water can fly up to 20 feet from the toilet. That means it would be all over my toothbrush and that's gross!

Ditto to that! That's the exact reason I put the lid down. Yuck yuck yuckity yuck yuck.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• yes I do because my cat will drink from the toilet if I don't and little particles fly out of the toilet everytime you flush...kinda gross.
    grooveybabe004

Answer by grooveybabe004 at 12:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Absolutely!
    There are droplets of the contents that spew up to 500 feet if the lid is left open when flushed.
    Is that nasty or what?!
    I think that is why they eventually came up with the invention of toilet seats WITH lids...LOL.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My husband is actually who got me onto closing the lid. His mother raised him to close the lid so that it's fair for everyone. Women have to open it and shut it, men have to open and shut it to use the bathroom.
    Also keeps most of the germs where they belong - or at least I like to think it does, even though I've seen studies that show otherwise.

Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 1:33 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No
    monshine2

Answer by monshine2 at 2:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009