How do you maintain your car?

Just curious, do you get tune ups every year. Change oil when you are suppose to? What is your way???

KFree907

Asked by KFree907 at 11:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I would not say that you should get a "tune up" every year. The oil should be changed anywhere from every 3,000 - 5,000 miles, depending on where you live. In harsher climates (really hot or cold, sandy, in the mountains, salty, etc...), oil should be changed closer to the 3,000 mile mark. Also depends on the type of car. A higher performance car should be more babied than a non-performance car. What do you mean by a "tune up"?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My husband is very good at it, he is not a mechanic but he knows everything about cars. And he always changes oil in time and can fix everything. That saves us alot of money.
    I guess I'm lucky ;-)
    danijela1985

Answer by danijela1985 at 11:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• We take them to the shop. The mechanic puts a sticker stating when the next oil change should be and we have tune-ups once per year, along with any needed maintenance in between.
    lucindamartinez

Answer by lucindamartinez at 11:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• um.... when it tells me to change the oil I tell DH. lol. I put gas in it, check the oil. Oh.... and the absolute must have...... WINDSHIELD WIPER FLUID!! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:33 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• That is one job that I have relinquished to DH! I was single for a few years and had to do all that on my own and it stunk! Now, I tell him when it's getting close or he'll notice when he drives my car and make an appointment. I just do not have time between trying to get 3 kids and myself back and forth to daycare/camp and work in the mornings and afternoons! That is one nice thing about being remarried! In regards to the tune up, we try to do whatever scheduled maintenance when it's advised with our vehicle manual
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 12:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My husband keeps track and takes care of all our vehicle needs.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:27 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My Hubby keeps a record of our oil changes, tune ups etc in a notebook in his shop. He's very efficient and makes sure everythings good before he goes back to work. With him being gone a month at a time it's nice to know it's taken care of. I also help take care of them when he's gone, if something goes wrong he helps me through it over the phone and I can usually fix it.. I have learned a lot just from watching and helping when he's home. Our boys have also learned a lot so that they can do it as well when they are older..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 12:28 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• When it breaks, if I can afford it, I fix it. If not I try to get it rigged. If all else fails I save up for it. No regular work except for oil and filter changes.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:31 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My fionce does the repair work on our vehicles and if it something major like a head gasket then my one buddy can fix it for us. He is a mechanic and only charges us for the parts needed to fix it. We are lucky to have such good friends.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009