Taoism... The Way

Taoism started as a combination of psychology and philosophy but evolved into a religious faith in 440 CE when it was adopted as a state religion. Taoists believe that "people are compassionate by nature...left to their own devices [they] will show this compassion without expecting a reward."

Tao (pronounced "Dow") can be roughly translated into English as path, or the way. It is basically indefinable. It has to be experienced. It "refers to a power which envelops, surrounds and flows through all things, living and non-living. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the Universe. It embodies the harmony of opposites (i.e. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female.)"

TO LEARN MORE, GO HERE:

http://www.beliefnet.com/Faiths/2001/06/What-Taoists-Believe.aspx

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 11:04 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• It "refers to a power which envelops, surrounds and flows through all things, living and non-living. The Tao regulates natural processes and nourishes balance in the Universe. It embodies the harmony of opposites (i.e. there would be no love without hate, no light without dark, no male without female.)"

This is also a fundemental belief in Hinduism. I believe we live in a world of duality. To me God is the love and/or vibtation that flows through everything living & non living. Love the teachings of the Tao, extremely amazing religion. And very similar to my own beliefs in Hinduism.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:11 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I used to follow the Tao for a time in my life : )
    Cinnamon-mom

Answer by Cinnamon-mom at 11:06 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You did? Seems like there aren't many people who unerstand it or even know about it. Is there anything you can tell us about your time int hat faith?
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 11:08 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I did a little research into Eastern philosophies a while back, and what I read fascinated me. They all have such a beautiful message.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 12:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I've done some reading on Taoism over the years- I find Eastern religion fascinating and find that it makes sense to me in a way that Western religion doesn't. I practice Buddhism and find there is some overlap of concepts between Zen and Taoism.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i studied tao for about two years off and on. it was very revealing. the one thing i learned and still to this day, try to just let things be. humans be humans. animals be animals. events occur as they would naturally. learning to let things just be is so freeing.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 2:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52181
    Anonymous

• John 14:6
    Anonymous

• Anonymous
    http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=52181

Anon, that has absolutely NOTHING to do with this question.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Is Taoism similar to zen Buddhism?

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:08 PM on Jun. 23, 2009