My 6 year old has started holding his pee!!!

He will hold it to the last minute and has had a couple of accidents recently. I don't know what has gotten into him! He doesn't pee to bed...it's only when he's up playing or doing something. One time it happened in school. And he acts like it's no big deal. We have talked to him about it, etc. But has this ever happened to anyone...?? Out of the blue. He is 100% potty trained and has been for a long time.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:14 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in General Parenting

• My sister used to do that because she really didn't want to stop playing or doing what she was doing. And going pee takes you away from the toys, even if it's only for a minute. Just tell him every so often that it's time to go sit on the potty for a minute, and enforce it.
    Guaranteed

Answer by Guaranteed at 11:17 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• kids do that. my sisters little boy holds his pee and hes potty trained to(he's 5) bc he like playing and dont want to stop what they r doing , until they cant hold it any more. so idk try saying something that would make him want to go to the bathroom instead of holding it in like say ur going to not let him play with w/e he's playing with n ur gunna take it away unless he uses the bathroom. hope this helps.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I went through that myself when I was about that age. What brought it on was that someone threw up in the bathroom at school, and somehow I got the idea it had not been cleaned up. I was afraid if I went into the bathroom at school I would see it or smell it and throw up. It took a while for my mom to figure out why I was having accidents all of the sudden, but when she was able to reassure me that the bathroom at school had actually been cleaned up I started using it again.

My oldest child also went through it, and the only thing I could figure was he was very involved in his play and just didn't want to waste time on bathroom breaks. He outgrew that phase pretty quickly.
    Anonymous