Do you have OCD? And how do you deal with it?

I think I may have OCD. I was wondering if anyone here has it and how do you deal with it? And what is it that you do that makes you have OCD? Such as cleaning excetra.
Im compulsive with spending money and buying certain things even though I dont need them. And I have a certain ritual I do everyday such as what I buy and where I go.
Thank you ladies.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Health

• I have a mild form of it. MY ocd comes out when i shop or deal with paperwork (when i was working) wehn i shop if i have to veer from my normal routine i get very anxious and i have to count things (four wheels on cart, 5 shelves, ect) i have learned how to not count out loud but my dd can tell when i am doing it. this compulsion to always go the same way even comes out when i drive. if i veer from a predetermined course i get panicky and cant breathe i grip the steering wheel in a death grip. the other one is only for papers. each piece of paper has to have a home and if i cant put it where it goes or find a home for it i become agitated and feel the need to reorganize all teh papers (even the ones that already have a home) its ocd because if i cahnge or dont do the complusion i have a major fear response or anxious response to the change of behavior. usually since its mild i can breathe through it or wait it out
    elananme

Answer by elananme at 11:53 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Yes I do have some aspects of OCD. I am a compulsive hand washer, I mean I literally wash my hands probably 50+ times per day. If my kids or husbands are in the kitchen helping with dinner, I make them wash their hands even if they say they just did lol. As a result of this, I have horribly dry cracked skin on my hands so I have to use lotion on them every night, more frequently during the winter. It's not fun, but at least I know my hands are clean! Also if something falls on my kitchen counters, as far as food goes, I will throw it away even if I just washed the counters lol. And I'm very obsessive about making sure my food is safe to eat, like if its' near the expiration date, or if I think something has thawed and refrozen somehow, I will throw it out. I use a meat thermometer to make sure my meat is done, and I will cook it til it says the exact temp its supposed to be at. But I am fine with it, I don't want treatment lol
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh lol I do the counting thing too it drives me crazy! I love the number 7 so if there is 7 of something, or ends in 7, or is a multiple of 7, it seems lucky to me lol. If it is 13, or any other number i consider an unlucky number, I will avoid it lol. I know that wounds weird!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• i have it, the compulsions are always there, but sometimes by obsessions change. right now mine is more of a repeating type thing. i see a counselor and i am going to a new psychiatrist b/c it interferes in daily activities.

Anonymous