Cat advise? Anyone a vet on here?

My cat is an inside cat and has never been outside. About 2 days ago I noticed a lump on my cats tail and she would get mad when I touched it. I think one of my other inside cats bit her. Today she is acting really angry. If another cat even comes 3 feet near her she charges it and started growling. She even jumped up and started biting my moms leg the other day. Any chances what could be wrong? If she does have a bite on her tail, could that just be sore and making her angry for the time being? I don't have money to take her to the vet at the moment. So some advice would be much appreciated, Thanks.

Morgan.

Asked by Morgan. at 11:40 AM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pets

• it that is it you will need to be able to look at it and put some antibiotic cream on it if it's an infected bite ( which would cause swelling) or did anybody step on her tail or shut it in a door?) Can you cage her for a few days? you might have to at leats phone a vet. tell them about the $$ situation, I know thw feeling!! I ahve 5 and no money!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 11:54 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you can't afford the vet, you can't afford the pet.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Look closely at the swelling. It could be an absess. Very common in cat fights and what it sounds like. If you leave it it may rupture and be a big mess! I really suggest try to find a vet that will allow you to leave checks or apply for Care Credit. It sounds like if nothing else kitty is in pain.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 12:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You need to take your cat to the vet. Worst case scenario could be rabies. You dont know exactly what bit her and being that she is an outdoor cat she is vulnerable to this.
    youngfirsttimer

Answer by youngfirsttimer at 1:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Most cat bites are anaerobic in nature, meaning that they are a closed wound not requiring air to become infected. The wound will abscess and eventually rupture. Your cat needs to be seen by your Vet to make sure this is the case since you did not witness the injury. An abscess left unattended can go gangrene, causing a portion of the tissue, in this case the tail, to fall off. General OTC creams will not work as this cat will more than likely require oral antibiotics.

equusvetgal

Answer by equusvetgal at 7:07 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• see if u can get some on to wrap ur cat in a towl so u can get a closer look at it...if its red swollen with a scab...just simpley pick the scab off and press on it intill it bleeds then put som triple anitibotic ointment on it...if there is no scab then u r going to have to take it to a vet so they can lance it and clean it up and probably prescribe anitibotics...most vets require money up front..if it was me and my cat i would do it myself just b/c i have done things like it befor and no im not a vet but i dont always have money to take them and alot of stuff i have aquired over the years to make my own judment calls
    Anonymous

• Please go to the vet. It does sound like a bit, and if it's swollen and tender, then it is probably infected.
    Mousuke

Answer by Mousuke at 12:55 AM on Jun. 24, 2009

• take your cat to a vet, most vets have payment plans too. my cat got in a fight with a stray that got into our house and she had a scratch on her leg that got infected and smelly and she needed oral anibiotics. if u do have pets u really need to be prepared to pay for them. sorry no offense
    kd2kds

Answer by kd2kds at 9:30 PM on Jun. 29, 2009