Can I copy my pictures onto iron on transfer paper using a copy machine?

The reason I ask is because my friend knows this woman who will put together a quilt for $10 if I cut out all the squares. I wanted to incorporate some squares with family pictures onto it. This is going to be a late Mother's/Father's Day present for the both of them.

Mrs.Pool2Be

Asked by Mrs.Pool2Be at 12:11 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Like a regular copy machine like at your office? No, you can't. The heat from the printer will cause the transfer paper to activate. You can't use any printer that heats up the paper when printed.

I quilt so my advice about the fabric is to make sure you're precise in your cutting. If not, they can't be used. You need to use a rotary cutter and a template.
    Anonymous

• You can buy tshirt transfer paper that is made for ink jet printers (you can find it at Walmart and Staples). I made my mom and daughter matching aprons for Christmas and they turned out so cute!
    warrenfamily95

Answer by warrenfamily95 at 9:20 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I'd do what warrenfamily says, just remember to flip the images first so they print backwards on the paper....so they turn out correctly on the fabric.
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 2:25 PM on Jun. 25, 2009

• You don't have to use a rotary cutter. I mean, how did women quilt before rotary cutters and rulers? They used patterns and scissors. That said, a rotary cutter makes the job faster and easier once you get used to using one.

As someone else said, no you can't really use a copy machine. It might work, but the image wouldn't be very good. But you could use a cheap inkjet printer that you can buy at walmart. You just print the image from your pc. Make sure to get the right transfers, they make them for light or dark fabrics. And I haven't had a lot of luck with them as far as washing them goes.

You might pick up the actual fabric sheets instead of the tansfers. You print the image directly onto the fabric sheets (which you can get at most fabric stores) and don't have to worry about the iron-on wearing off. They are more expensive, but more durable as well.

Good luck!
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 8:51 PM on Jun. 25, 2009