introducing peanut butter

my son is 14 m/o, can i introduce pb? I was tested positive for nut allergies when I was a child, but as far as I remember I never had an allergic reaction to it. would this mean my son has a higher chance of being allergic? I'm kinda afraid to introduce it to him, but i'd like him to try it for lunch...

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:17 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• if your brave do it, just watch him closley for the rest of the day, if not ask his pedi to test him for allergies, then you will know for sure
    2cuteboysrmine

Answer by 2cuteboysrmine at 12:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• we have peanut allergies in our family, my mom is severely allergic but me and my sister had no allergies to it. I tried it with my son at 13 months but made sure to have benadryl on hand. my son has food allergies and my Ped still won't do an allergy test since its not severe and he says do trial and error testing and most kids grow out of it
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:00 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• If you're going to try it, I'd try a little. Just have some Benedryl on hand and know the appropriate dose for him (probably 1/2 tsp). This would help should he have any mild reaction. According to our pediatrician, latest studies are showing the introducing these type foods earlier may reduce the chance of allergic reaction. When in doubt, check with your doctor.
    Anonymous

• There is no actual proof that delaying foods prevents anything, you can try with a little bit.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 2:54 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• maxsmom - depending on what your son is allergic to, your ped may be incorrect is saying most kids outgrow it. Some allergies have a high likelihood of being outgrown. Others, however do not. 80% of kids allergic to milk, for example, will outgrow that allergy (which means 20% will retain it for life) On the other hand, only 20% of kids outgrow peanut, tree nut and shellfish allergies.

Owl Feather - If you have a food allergy, your child is at higher risk for developing allergies. It does not mean the *same* allergy and it doesn't mean he will. Just that he's at higher risk to develop ANY food allergy than a child without an allergic parent. Recommended age to introduce PB is 3 yrs old - especially with an allergic history in the family. Keep in mind that it may take multiple exposures to something before a reaction occurs. If you give him some PB and he's fine, still proceed with caution for the next few attempts. (cont)
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:58 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• (cont from above) for example, my DD had two exposures to peanut butter prior to her first reaction. The first was eating Reese pieces. The other was a bit of her brother's PB sandwich. Her first reaction was delayed by HOURS. We did not connect what appeared then to be a stomach virus to the PBJ she had a bite of. (She did complain about it making her tongue feel funny. We assumed she did not like the sticky texture.) A few days later she ate two peanut butter baking chips and threw up profusely, then broke out in hives and vomited profusely again. She's since been tested at an allergist (scoring a high 4 on a scale of 0-5) and goes now here without an EpiPen near by. She's also allergic to tree nuts (mild skin reaction to a body lotion with nut oils to prove it before testing) and shellfish.

Some dr's believe testing prior to an exposure won't work. The body may not respond the first time - even if it's the test. kwim?
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:02 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• sorry to hog the replies. ;) As others have said, there are some studies now looking into whether delayed exposure is creating a higher risk as opposed to the older thought that 'early exposure' increased risk. The truth is, no one really knows for sure yet. There are studies that support both thesis. The best thing to do is to consult your doctor. Do you have an allergist for your allergies? If so, ask that doctor what his/her thoughts are concerning your child.

a good place for general info on food allergies is www.foodallergy.org. That's the web site for FAAN (Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network) a non-profit agency that advocates, funds research and supplies educational materials.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 3:06 PM on Jun. 23, 2009