Airforce wives, please answer!!

My husband and I are considering having him join the Airforce when he's done with school. He only has a year and a half left, but we're the plan-ahead type. Anyway, what has it been like for your family? How often is your hubby away without you? How many times have you ALL been sent overseas? How hard is it to be without your DH? I'm prone to anxiety and depression and I am a pretty emotional person, so I need to know all the gory details to prepare myself. Thank you so much, and thank your husbands for me for serving!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:19 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Relationships

• Honestly it has been great for us. My husband has been in for 12 years, and we love it. The Air Force is the best branch for families. All of my friends who are military wives love their lives and are 100% against their husbands getting out. The deployments in the Air Force are typically shorter than in any other branch also. Most are anywhere from 4-8 months, but the longer ones typically you can be home for up to a year between deployments in my experiences at least. my husband has been very lucky in assignments, we have gotten 3 special duty assignments in a row and he has only had to deploy once. But now we are looking at a one year unaccompanied tour as a possibility pretty soon. We have had awesome assignments (first we were in nebraska, but then we got to move to Guam for 2 years and Spain for 3 years, now in Washington State). Spain and Guam were so amazing. Overseas tours are wonderful, but it is what you make of....
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:37 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It really depends on what field your husband ends up in. When I was married to an Airforce man, we were stationed in Hawaii the whole time.
    Anonymous

• I'm tripping out a little bit reading this question because it seems like i may hav written it myself! Mine is in school too, also considering joining AF with about a yr left. (whoa) And i too am a very emotionally unstable person who needs to know these things as well before we make that decision. I hope that you get your questions answered. Good Luck to you and your family :)
    newmom_1989

Answer by newmom_1989 at 12:35 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• bump :)
    newmom_1989

• it. If you go into it thinking you are going to hate it you will find things to hate. but if you go into it with a sense of adventure and finding the good things, you will love it. I love that my kids can go to school on the base (at least til middle school), and that we get base housing for free and they pay for our utilities when we live on base also. And the sense of community, you just don't find it in the civilian world. It's amazing. When husbands deploy, there are always other wives from the squadron or friends who support you, there are programs available to you that help your life flow smoothly while your husband is gone. And most of them have internet access now where they can chat on IM and email with you frequently. It's not fun during a deployment, but you make it through. Oh and I have generalized anxiety disorder and I've made it through :-)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 12:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009