introducing peanut butter

my son is 14 m/o. is it ok to introduce PB? I was tested positive to nut allergies when I was a kid, although I never had an allergic reaction to it. but I'm kinda nervous about introducing it to him because of my genes and the constant warnings I read about nuts.... but I'd like to offer him a pb&j sandwich for lunch....

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 12:25 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I would wait until two with a doctors consent if their is a family history. Until then your local health store or farmers market will probably carry soy butter or sunflower seed butter and they are both very good. Same constancy as peanut butter.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 4:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My daughter's ped. recommended waiting until she was 2 to introduce nuts and we do not have any food allergies in our family.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 12:34 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• My grandson has many allergies. His allergy Dr. recommended waiting until 2 for peanut butter also.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Since there is a nut allergy history I would wait until he is 2 at most. I introduced PB when my little guy was 13 months but that was with consent from my pediatrician and he did fine. We do not have any nut allergies in our family. Call your pediatrician and see what advice he will give you.
    frapanda

Answer by frapanda at 4:50 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• No nuts until at least two. If there is a family history, then not until 3.You can use sunflower seed butter or soy butter instead.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:16 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Ask the doctor, my son was 9 months when we introduced peanut butter, but there are no food allergies in my family or his father's. He is 13 and still has no food allergies. It all depends on the child and family history of allergies.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Talk to your doctor. There's new evidence that says that waiting isn't always the best choice.

If your kid is going to have a reaction, it happens immediately, so you can always arrange with your doctor to give him his first bite in office, if it makes you feel better. :)

Avarah

Answer by Avarah at 10:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Our ped just told us that the AAP bumped the recommendation to 3 years old....
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 9:58 AM on Jun. 24, 2009