breast pump to start labor?

I'm desperate, and im using my breast pump to start contraction..I just tried on one breast for 15 mins, and i heard different versions, one person told me no more than 2 hrs, and another told me 15 mins on each nipple in intervals...any tips ladies? I just want to get this ball rolling so to speak. :)

AshleyRoseG

Asked by AshleyRoseG at 12:26 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It's really not safe to do. TALK to your OB before trying anything!
    Anonymous

• I agree. That doesn't sound too safe. How far along are you?
    StifflersMom82

Answer by StifflersMom82 at 12:32 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Sweetie...I hate to be the bringer of bad news but I've been trying nipple stimulation with my breast pump for the last week and I'm still prego!

I've tried pumping 2 minutes, taking a 3 minute break, pumpig 2 etc. for 20 minutes like one book suggested. Then I upped it to 3 minutes, 2 min break, 3 min pump, etc. for 20 minutes since I didn't get adaquet contractions. I did get some contractions out of the 3 min pumping but they went away after 30 minutes or so when I didn't pump any more.

I've also tried pumping 1 side for 5 min, taking a 15 minute break and pumping the other side. Then just going back and forth like a an article by an OBGYN suggested. I GOT NOTHIN...

Then I tried the pumpig both breast for 5 minutes and then taking a hour break to mop and do house work and I'm still pregnant!!

I haven't given up though. I'm going to try placing the heating pad on my breast for 30 minutes and then pumping so see.
    Anonymous

• I just wanted to add that you are supposed to talk with your doctor or midwife before beginning a nipple stimulation regime.

I talked to my OBGYN and she said "GO FOR IT! I don't know that it will work but your more than welcome to try it."

So I have been!
    Anonymous

• If you're more than two weeks overdue, then your DR will induce you. If not, then stop. It's not safe people!
    Anonymous

• The most comon practice I have heard is to start on one breast at a time, after a contraction starts, stop during the contraction, and then switch sides, after another contraction, do the same, stop durning and switch sides. They say to do this till the y are about 5-7 minutes apart, or for 1 hour. If they start to dwindle down repeat as needed. But if you do this a few times and nothing sticks, your contractions consistantly keep stopping, it is your body's way of saying your not ready, and it is advisable to stop and wait for another day. Rolling your breast right behind your nipple on the areola is supposed to be just as effective and not quite as painful as a pump. Be ready to go to the hospital though (or call your midwife if you are using one) because if your body is ready it ihsa the potential to start labor very quickly and very hard. Here is some more info
    http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/natinduc.html#Nipple
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:38 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• You are only at 38 weeks and trying to make yourself go into labor? That's not good. Wait two weeks. Due dates are often wrong.
    Anonymous

• The reason some say it isn't safe is because of the risk of uterine hyperstimulation but I can tell you the pitocin they are going to give you in an induction has a MUCH MUCH higher rate of uterine hyperstimulation than nipple stimulation releasing oxytocin which is the natural form of pitocin.

You are supposed to be monitored or at least taught by your doctor what to look for such as contractions lasting a very long time or coming to close together.

The birthing center here in town uses it when their patients are at risk for having to be transfered for reasons such as passing 42 weeks (it's the law they have to transfer them after 42 weeks), having hypertetion, diabetes, etc.
    Anonymous

• its safe if you are due, but it may not work. I nursed my son throughout my pregnancy... therefore constant nipple stimulation was going on, and he came right on his due date lol. Usually doctors will wait 1-2 weeks after your due date unless something is wrong before inducing. I highly recoomend doing other things to help labor start, like walking up and down stairs or uphill, doing lunges, going swimming etc that will help your baby to drop. eat healthy and drink a lot will help also. Even going to the chiropracter may help.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 12:41 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• actually they had bumped my due date up to yesterday, im 4 cm dilated and fully effaced ladies, baby is at station zero and my amniotic sac is bulging..so it's not like i'm really "rushing " things..just trying to give an extra little push!!
    if it doesnt happen on its own anyways, they are inducing me on the 29th, i'm just trying to avoid that.
    AshleyRoseG

Answer by AshleyRoseG at 12:47 PM on Jun. 23, 2009