Should we be concerned if our child rolls from the couch and smacks head on carpeted floor?

A few weeks ago when that article came out about a child who fell from the play pin, and later died in its sleep! Oh my.....now Im so concerned with head injury. How do we know if its serious or minor?

LisaPartyof5

Asked by LisaPartyof5 at 12:39 PM on Jun. 23, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My son hit the carpeted floor from the couch when he was about a week old, no injuries. If his pupils are the same size (the black part in the center of the eyeball) and he isn't unusually drowsy, no indication of headache, then these are good signs. If you are worried, call and talk to his doctor's office- better be assured than to worry.

Answer by Bmat at 12:44 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• It seems the play pen has higher edges then the couch and it depends on how hard the child hit their head. If you are concerned call the doctor though that is what they are there for they will tell you if you should bring your child in and weather they are in danger. My daughter did this a couple time on hard wood and the doctor told me what to look for but it is a little foggy since it was about 2 years ago.
    Luvmylittlegrl

Answer by Luvmylittlegrl at 12:45 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Watch for unusual signs. Large "goose-egg" on the head where they bumped it, loss of consciousness when it happens (if your child doesn't cry right away keep an eye on them), clear fluid from the ears or nose, dilated pupils, VERY sleepy or lethargic, trouble keeping balanced, slurred speech if they can talk...anything out of the ordinary. You can also call their pedi if you aren't sure and they can give you more specifics to watch out for if it happens. Don't get crazy worried about it though, kids bump their heads, it's just something that is going to happen and it's usually not serious.
    Anonymous

• I would only be concerned if after falling, my child lost consciousness/blacked out--even for a minute, went in and out of consciousness, felt sleepy (uncontrollable), complained of feeling dizzy, nausea, or having a headache, which would indicate a concussion.

From the couch to a carpeted (padded) floor, is about 18 inches. Unless she landed ON her head, the rest of her body absorbed the "impact," and because she was in a relaxed state, she wouldn't have hurt herself trying to break her fall.

The rule of thumb regarding head injuries (when you're not sure what happened), is you can assume there is a head or neck injury when the person falls from a height greater than their own.

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 12:46 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• Oh my gosh!
    I had never heard of that! Yesterday my daughter flipped out of her crib and landed on our carpet. She is perfectly fine but she is 10 months old and bumps and bruises never bother her. I bet it depends on your childs age and hos tough they are built. Kinda like SIDS, after a while you dont have to be as worried about it.
    amber710

Answer by amber710 at 12:48 PM on Jun. 23, 2009

• I would get a xray be safe.
    jagrus

Answer by jagrus at 4:29 PM on Jun. 23, 2009